It has been stated in this forum that one of the benefits of using the original (older) PDF writer in TMG was that it could be used by other programs. However, I have never been able to get this to work. While I can print ot PDF reports from TMG, when I try selecting the 'printer' from other programs I get an error message and the print process aborts (sorry, I didn't copy the error message). This has happened before and after installing the latest PDF driver (per Bob's suggestion, I have both versions installed and only tried printing using the older one). Does anyone have any ideas why I cannot print PDF outside of TMG.

I have Win/XP, SP2, TMG 6.12, and have tried printing to PDF from Wordperfect 12.

Thanks

You have to print to file.

File > Print

On the print dialog box :lookaround: look for a print to file check box, enable print to file, select the Wholly Genes PDF Writer

When you click the OK button (or whatever) depending on the application you may or may not get a dialog box where you can select the folder and a place to type a file name. Once you type a file name and click OK (or whatever) the file is generated. You then need to open the folder you specified and locate the new file.

In MS Word you can designate the folder, but .prn is the automatically assigned file extension, so you have to locate the file and rename it with the .pdf extension. I usually use something like filename.pdf, which comes out filename.pdf.prn, so the rename is simply removing the .prn bit.

Some applications do not show a dialog box where you can select a folder, just a place to type a file name, if you don't type a path the file gets saved in some unknown folder, and you have to use search Start > Search : When was it modified : today to locate the file. Therefore it is easier to locate the file if you type the path and file name C:\folder\filename.pdf

Edited by ggilbert1

There is a freeware prog. called Cute.pdf which allows you to designate the file name and directory, I have "saved" i.e. printed many a census record to it.