John Stark

GEDCOM Import:

I'm having problems understanding how to import GEDCOMS and add the data to an existing data set. It seems a fundamental sort of procedure so I'm probably missing something obvious.

Problem Background:

I have a Project with two large datasets. Customised place styles are used extensively.

Objective:

To import a large volume of records to one of the datasets via a custom built GEDCOM. The customised place styles are to be attached to the various tag types as appropriate. I wish to attach customised sort dates to some tags.

Difficulties:

1. I can't work out how to import to an existing dataset. I have only been able to import to a new one.

2. I am unable to set a default place style for the new dataset as the option in Preferences is greyed out.

(And in any case, I want to use an appropriate custom style for each tag - I have 6 custom place styles).

3. I haven't been able to work out how to import a customised sort date. Example:

I have a Marriage Reg tag to record the Marriage registration index entries.

British indexes are (mostly) recorded in Quarters, e.g. 1837 September quarter for July - September 1837.

In this example I would wish to record a tag sort date of Sep 1837 and a tag date of blank.

(I have John Cardinal's uitility).

Edited by John Stark

John Said:

Difficulties:

>>1. I can't work out how to import to an existing dataset. I have only been able to import to a new one.

You cannot - an import always creates a new data set - you can then merge the data sets afterwards

>>2. I am unable to set a default place style for the new dataset as the option in Preferences is greyed out.

If you are using the UK edition, this is preset.

(And in any case, I want to use an appropriate custom style for each tag - I have 6 custom place styles).

>>3. I haven't been able to work out how to import a customised sort date. Example:

I have a Marriage Reg tag to record the Marriage registration index entries.

British indexes are (mostly) recorded in Quarters, e.g. 1837 September quarter for July - September 1837.

In this example I would wish to record a tag sort date of Sep 1837 and a tag date of blank.

As far as I know, GEDCOMs do not support sort dates.

Are you importing new people or do you wish to add new tags to existing people?

If you are adding tags to existing people, you do not want a GEDCOM but use John Cardinal's TMG Utilities to add tags using a text file.

See the help file

If you are adding new people with a GEDCOM, you will have to edit the new datset afterwards and then merge it with your current data set.