Nick Shelley

Journal reports and Book Manager

This is a Book Manager report:

I have recently run two 'books' each of 17 consecutive journal reports.

In the first book, all went without a hitch for two thirds of the way through until an error message 'variable 69 not found'. Pressing the ignore option led to 'conversion error#3: could not create or open conv_log.txt on scratch drive' but accepting this I could go on with the journal sequence. I have not found any errors in the journals reports as a consequence of this. Before completing the sequence of journal reports I received the Word link screen on the first and only report which contained exhibits although screen messages were set to off. In spite of these messages, the book of reports seemed to complete okay

In the second book, all went well until the penultimate report when the report kept cycling through the analysis notification window on the far right of the screen and it could not reach the 'calculating text' stage. Ctrl-Alt-Del was the only way to escape from this endless cycle. The same result was experienced when running this particular report manually. The report following this in the sequence, when performed manually, went okay. So it would appear that one report, although appearing okay, has somehow become corrupted. It is available if anyone is interested in it.

Nick Shelley

I have now noted another habit of the Journal report. This occurred when making a new report and copying the settings of a first report to it. The output setting was already set to file, and after editting the file name, I then went to amend the focus ID#. Immediately after I entered a new number, the output setting changed to printer.

Nick

This is a Book Manager report:

I have recently run two 'books' each of 17 consecutive journal reports.

In the first book, all went without a hitch for two thirds of the way through until an error message 'variable 69 not found'. Pressing the ignore option led to 'conversion error#3: could not create or open conv_log.txt on scratch drive' but accepting this I could go on with the journal sequence. I have not found any errors in the journals reports as a consequence of this. Before completing the sequence of journal reports I received the Word link screen on the first and only report which contained exhibits although screen messages were set to off. In spite of these messages, the book of reports seemed to complete okay

In the second book, all went well until the penultimate report when the report kept cycling through the analysis notification window on the far right of the screen and it could not reach the 'calculating text' stage. Ctrl-Alt-Del was the only way to escape from this endless cycle. The same result was experienced when running this particular report manually. The report following this in the sequence, when performed manually, went okay. So it would appear that one report, although appearing okay, has somehow become corrupted. It is available if anyone is interested in it.

Nick Shelley

Having had this occur a number of times, I could not understand why the problem stopped. However have just solved it: when editting the path for the report, to get out of the field I have been clicking on what I thought was a neutral part of the background canvas. I realise now that the long strips of background canvas both above and below the path window respond to a mouse click as if one were selecting the screen or printer options by selecting their buttons.

Nick

I have now noted another habit of the Journal report. This occurred when making a new report and copying the settings of a first report to it. The output setting was already set to file, and after editting the file name, I then went to amend the focus ID#. Immediately after I entered a new number, the output setting changed to printer.

Nick

I am also getting the 'conversion error#3: could not create or open conv_log.txt on scratch drive' when I tried to 'print and save' a journal report. I was only trying to produce a Journal Report (ancestor). And the file that was created was empty so this is a real problem for me.

Thanks,

Pam

I get an error while trying to printing and saving a Journal report. It comes up as "Conversion Error #13 - Source File Discrepancy" and no report is produced. I have never seen this problem before today. I have run the Maintenance Reindex, Optimize, and Validate File Integrity and restarted the program several times. Any suggestions?

The only thing differently that I have done lately is to paste a rather large text file into a Memo field (not one of the people in the report). Is there a limit to what can be put into a Memo field?

Thinking that this might have been the issue, I deleted the tag with this memo, and re-ran the Maintenance Reindex, Optimize, and Validate File Integrity and restarted the program several times. The error still appears.

I am running Windows XP SP2 and TMG v6.12.000

Thanks,

Geoff

Geoff -

This error has usually been associated with the combination of embedded citations and memos as endnotes. In one case the cause turned out to be a missing bracket in an embedded citation.

For some of the earlier reports and possible solutions, search the tmg-l archives with 'conversion error #13' in the body field.

http://archiver.rootsweb.com/cgi-bin/search?path=TMG

Virginia

I sent an email to the Wholly Genes Tech Support and the problem was solved with the following:

Cheers,

Geoff

Select the report. On the Report Definition screen up near the top there is an Add and a Delete button. Click on Delete. You will get a message telling you this is a standard report and can't be deleted and asked if you want to reset to the defaults. Answer Yes and then try the report again.

There is no limit on the size of the memo field. However you do have to be careful when pasting to always paste anything as Unformatted Text. If you just paste direct you run the chance that codes from whatever you copied from get pasted as well that often confuses the dickens out of TMG.