Neil Grantham

Including witnesses in reports

Neil,

The option to select or deselect witness sentences can be found on the Tag tab when you fire up Options for each report

I'm having a mad moment.

How, in reports such as Journal or Descendant narrative, do I include witnesses in sentences?

It's probably somewhere totally obvious!

Nick Shelley

How, in reports such as Journal or Descendant narrative, do I include witnesses in sentences?

It's probably somewhere totally obvious!

Do you mean how do you get events in which a person is a Witness to show up in that person's narrative? If so, choose "All events and witnessed events" on the Tags tab of options, as Nick is suggesting.

But it sounds more like you mean how do you get witnesses mentioned in the narratives for the principals. If that's the case, you need to edit the Sentences for the Principals - none of the default sentences include mention of Witnesses. That is, you need to add a Witness variable, along with some appropriate text to weave the Witness's name into the text. Such as:

This will add to the text in the Principal's narrative something like:

...., witnessed by Joe Blow

or, if there are several witnesses:

...., witnessed by Joe Blow, Mary Greene, and Tom Brown.

If you need to distinguish between several different witnesses, you need to create an assign Roles to them, as described in the Roles Tutoral on my website - link below.

Terry, I think it is the latter I need.

I'd like to have the Witnesses to marriages for example, and also perhaps, the Curate/Vicar included in the sentence.

So, in the marriage Tag I've added a Role called Curate.

In my test, I've changed the role of the Curate to 'Curate' - who I'd previously added as a Witness.

So, how do I change the Tag so that it shows something along the line of

Fred Bloggs married Jane Doe on 24th March 1855. Witnessed by Joe Blow, and Mary Green, married by Rev. Tom Jones

Cheers

Nick,

Once you have set up the roles:

[R:GROOM] married [R:BRIDE] [D]. <Witnessed by [R:WITNESS]> Married by{R:CURATE}.

Note to get the , married by part, you'd have to always have witnesses, or you would get ... March 1855. ,married by...

I don't think you want that.

Nick,

Once you have set up the roles:

[R:GROOM] married [R:BRIDE] [D]. <Witnessed by [R:WITNESS]> Married by{R:CURATE}.

Note to get the , married by part, you'd have to always have witnesses, or you would get ... March 1855. ,married by...

I don't think you want that.

Excuse my ignorance.

Where do I change things to get the above.

If I open the 'Tools>Master Tag Type List', and select the Marriage Tag, I see the Sentence and Witness Sentence boxes. Do I alter here to see what you typed, or do I need to use 'Edit>Roles and Sentences' ?

Neil (not Nick!!)

So, in the marriage Tag I've added a Role called Curate.

In my test, I've changed the role of the Curate to 'Curate' - who I'd previously added as a Witness.

So, how do I change the Tag so that it shows something along the line of

Fred Bloggs married Jane Doe on 24th March 1855. Witnessed by Joe Blow, and Mary Green, married by Rev. Tom Jones

Change the Sentence to something like this:

[P] married [PO] <. witnessed by>

Note there is no need to assign the Bride and Groom roles as Teresa suggests. But you do need to separate the "Witnesses" who are just witnesses from the Curate. Thus I used the role variable [R:Witness] for them.

Getting the punctuation right is a bit tricky when you want to accommodate all the possible combinations of witnesses and/or curate being either known or not known, but I think the above should work.

Where do I change things to get the above.

If I open the 'Tools>Master Tag Type List', and select the Marriage Tag, I see the Sentence and Witness Sentence boxes. Do I alter here to see what you typed, or do I need to use 'Edit>Roles and Sentences' ?

You Click Edit, than make the changes on the Roles and Sentence tab. (You can't directly edit what you see on the Master Tag Type list.)

This assumes you want to edit the default sentence for the tag type. That's probably what you would want to do, though you could make the same changes on a specific tag if you only wanted it on rare occasions.

For more on editing sentences, seem my articles on that topic.