wghayes

TMG6 loadiing interrrupted looking for MS Office component

My laptop copy of TMG6 seems to want a component of Microsoft Office which is not on this computer. The loading of the TMG program is interrupted and a request for the CD-ROM containing Microsoft Office XP Professional with FrontPage is requested because of an unnamed missing component. If I click on cancel the TMG program loads anyway, and functions normally. I have looked in preferences to see if I have indicated the use of MS Word or some other component of MS Office, but this is not the case. I do not use FrontPage and to my knowledge it is not installed on either of my two computers.

Any ideas as to what's going on here? I have been using TMG since version 4 and never had this occur before.

My laptop copy of TMG6 seems to want a component of Microsoft Office which is not on this computer. The loading of the TMG program is interrupted and a request for the CD-ROM containing Microsoft Office XP Professional with FrontPage is requested because of an unnamed missing component. If I click on cancel the TMG program loads anyway, and functions normally. I have looked in preferences to see if I have indicated the use of MS Word or some other component of MS Office, but this is not the case. I do not use FrontPage and to my knowledge it is not installed on either of my two computers.

Any ideas as to what's going on here? I have been using TMG since version 4 and never had this occur before.

Had tmg6 been working fine on the laptop and this just started? Does this message only pop up when you open TMG - not any other program? Do you have any version of MS office installed on your laptop?

I searched Google for 'missing ms office file' and found some information on what seems to be a common problem - but I'm not sure it applies to your case, since it mentions files by name (you say the missing file is 'unnamed'). Have you recently run an anti-spyware program which might have removed an ms office install file or have you recently downloaded and run any Windows XP updates?

The article includes this info:

"The most likely reason for Windows Installer to require the installation CD is because the saved version of the .msi file for Office has been inadvertently or deliberately deleted from your computer. It is also possible that the file is damaged or corrupted.

Occasionally, changing the drive letters associated with partitions on your hard disk can cause this problem to occur — such as changing drive C: to a different letter or moving the hard disk drive from one computer to another. Other possible causes are a damaged or corrupted hard disk or registry file."

The article is at:

http://office.microsoft.com/en-us/help/HA011185721033.aspx

and it lists a file called:

proplus.msi Microsoft Office XP Professional with FrontPage Edition

(Files with the .msi extension are Microsoft Installer files.)

You may want to take a look at the article in case something there looks helpful, and in the meantime maybe someone else will have a suggestion.

Virginia

1. Had tmg6 been working fine on the laptop and this just started?

2. Does this message only pop up when you open TMG - not any other program?

3. Do you have any version of MS office installed on your laptop?

4. Have you recently run an anti-spyware program which might have removed an ms office installation?

5. or have you recently downloaded and run any Windows XP updates?

Virginia

Virginia -

Thanks for the help. The answers to your questions are:

1. Have not used it on my laptop for months. At least two minor TMG upgrades in the meantime. Problem is new.

2. Yes, only TMG. MS Word. Excel, Access and Powerpoint all open with no error.

3. Version 2002

4. No

5. XP updates automatically and has done so very recently.

Since this only occurs with TMG, and since TMG is not an MS product and to my knowledge does not rely on MS Office, I assumed that I had set some TMG preference that wanted this file. Otherwise I cannot understand why TMG would want a file related to MS Office. Since this is just a nuisance at the moment, I believe I will just put up with it for now. When I replace my broken laptop CD-DVD I will see if I can reinstall the missing file.

Bill Hayes

Hi, Bill -

I can't think of any reason for TMG to ask for the file. There must be something accidentally triggering the MS message as tmg loads. It's a long shot - but in Preferences > Startup and Exit, set 'check for an update' and 'check for messages' both to 0. Do you open TMG with the Welcome Window? While you are in Preferences, you could reverse that setting whatever it is. If you can pin down the point in TMG's load routine when you get the message maybe we can come up with something else.

Virginia

Hi, Bill -

I can't think of any reason for TMG to ask for the file. There must be something accidentally triggering the MS message as tmg loads. It's a long shot - but in Preferences > Startup and Exit, set 'check for an update' and 'check for messages' both to 0. Do you open TMG with the Welcome Window? While you are in Preferences, you could reverse that setting whatever it is. If you can pin down the point in TMG's load routine when you get the message maybe we can come up with something else.

Virginia

Well, Virginia, I tried those things to no avail.

Interestingly, when I just now closed a TMG session and elected to make a backup, Windows tried to install that missing file before the backup began. I clicked on cancel on the dialog box and the backup proceeded normally.

Bill

Bill -

The problem is with MS Office - not TMG, but a fix has been located. If you will send me (vablake@aol.com) your e-mail address, I will send you the required file.

Virginia

Virginia -

I am going to report here what we did and the result for all to see. Perhaps someone else has or will have the same problem. And maybe there is someone out there with a solution.

You sent me fix.zip which contains userdataow2k.reg. After extracting that file to the desktop, I ran it and then started TMG. When I had the same problem as before (described below) I realized I should have restarted the computer first. I then restarted the computer, then loaded TMG. I am sorry to report that the problem persists.

On starting TMG, the loading is halted about three quarters of the way through and a dialog box appears that says:

<Title of Dialog Box> Microsoft Office XP Professional with FrontPage </ Title>

The feature you are trying to use is on a CD-ROM or other removable disk that is not available.

Insert the "Microsoft Office XP Professional with FrontPage" disk and click OK.

Use Source

Microsoft Office XP Professional with FrontPage

OK Cancel Browse

After I click "Cancel" I get another dialog box that says:

Error 1706. Setup cannot find the required file. Check your connection to

the network or CD-ROM drive. For other potential solutions to the problem

see C:\Program files\Microsoft Office\Office 10\1033\SETUP.HLP

OK

Once I click on "Cancel" and "OK" the program finishes loading and functions normally, except that the same thing occurs whenever I try to generate an Individual Narrative Report. None of the other programs on my laptop do this, including MS Word, Excel, Access, and PowerPoint.

I should mention that my IBM ThinkPad DVD-CD unit has not been working since before I discovered this problem. I suppose that there could be a connection, but this is unlikely since the problem occurs even when the DVD-CD is uninstalled and removed from the computer.

I am going to be away visiting kids and grandkids for almost a week. In the meantime I should receive a new DVD-CD player/recorder. I will let you know if the problem persists when it is installed. I do not have an Office 2002 CD, the software having been installed by the NCSU bookstore where I purchased the laptop. If the problem does persist I will see what they suggest. The store is closed for the holiday recess.

Thanks, Virginia, for your attempts to solve this mystery.

Bill Hayes

Just a shot in the dark, so to speak. Have you installed Internet Explorer 7 on your machine? I recently ran into a problem with scanner software that HP said was caused by IE7 (they gave me a work-around). No problem with the scanner software before IE7 and no problem with it on my laptop (which is using IE6).

Dick

There was another report of this problem on tmg-l, also, incidentally, on a laptop and also associated with an older version of Word. I wonder if it would help to install the MS Compatibility Pack, which allows older versions of Office to use newer xml formats. I don't know why the MS message would be triggered when TMG opens.

Virginia

Here's as much detail as I can recall on my experience with this problem. It began for me with a new laptop this summer (Toshiba Tecra M4) which came with a lot of pre-installed software. One was a version of Microsoft Office (I can't remember whether this was actually installed or merely on the computer as installable). Since I had my own version of Office from my university, I installed that rather than using what came with the laptop.

I know that at some point early on the second version installed itself (perhaps as a result of installing TMG) and I wasn't able to use Word until I uninstalled the second copy of Office, which wanted a serial number that was not the serial number on my university disk.

I don't recall that the installer ran every time I used TMG during the fall (this was not many times, but I did open it occasionally), but I've used TMG more frequently during the past month and the installer seems to want to run every time I start TMG. It also wants to run when I do backups and some other tasks. I'll try to keep track of when it starts up.

I agree that this has to be a Microsoft problem rather than a TMG problem, but it only happens with TMG, so something TMG does has to be triggering it.

The version of Office that shows on my start menu is Office 2003. Since the new laptop is a tablet, perhaps I should have used the version that came with the laptop, but I didn't find a serial number for it when it installed and wanted one! I suppose I could try downloading updates to Office 2003--I had updated it on my previous laptop but have not on this one. Windows XP does update and I've done all the updates except for Explorer 7.

Thanks,

Karla

Here's as much detail as I can recall on my experience with this problem.

I noticed this morning that the installer also runs when TMG checks for messages.

Karla

Thanks for the update, Bill. Sorry to hear the fix didn't solve the problem.

Have a good visit with those grandkids. I've been enjoying mine this week!

Virginia

Virginia (and all)

After returning from visiting the grands I searched my messy desk and found the MS Office Professional CD that came with my laptop. It turns out that Office XP with Access, Frontpage, Outlook, Word, etc was installed by the bookstore at NC State University under their Microsoft license, and not by IBM. IBM replaced my DVD_CD drive under warranty so I was able to insert the CD the next time I loaded TMG and was asked to do so.

That fixed the problem. :D

I still don't understand why TMG needed that. What if I had not ever had MS Office on my computer? :huh:

Bill Hayes