OK, I'm not trying to be difficult, but when might TMG 7.0 be appearing? :drool: Granted, I am rather a newer user (v6-type only), so I have no feel for the historical upgrade path of this program, and as far as I can tell, it doesn't show in a listing anywhere on this site. The upgrades MS-Word file only goes back to 6.05.

Now, after some digging into the old newsletters, and an archive of old TMG Tips articles Lee Hoffman has on his site, :book: I have approximated the following:

v4.0 - Maybe about June 1999 or so. I suspect it was to make TMG Y2K compatible and work with some newer Windows versions, besides lots of charting features and whatever else.

v5.0 - About December 2001 - Maybe to work with XP? Again, lots of new features, I think.

v6.0 - About December 2004 - More improvements to features than anything (since GTMOOTMG covers v5 and v6).

Now, that might imply a hoped-for release of v7 about the end of 2007 :holiday: , if the v5 to v6 timeline is adhered to. It's overdue if the v4 to v5 line is followed, but I think that was a bit more of a quick turnaround anomaly based on the systems advances at the time.

I would think that with the advent of Vista, :lamo: there might be something over the horizon. Is there any feel for this from the powers-that-be? Maybe some thoughts or words of sage wisdom from the old-timers? :gossip:

Traffic on Rootsweb TMG-L suggests version 5.0 was released in May 2002 - for a hoot :bugeye: you should scan through the messages in the preceding months, and May.

April 2002 1458 messages

May 2002 5330 messages :shocking:

Edited by ggilbert1

Traffic on Rootsweb TMG-L suggests version 5.0 was released in May 2002 - for a hoot :bugeye: you should scan through the messages in the preceding months, and May.

April 2002 1458 messages

May 2002 5330 messages :shocking:

Hmmm..... I didn't even think you could reference that far back on TMG-L. I might check that out. It's not surprising the dramatic rise in messages after a new release, especially if it changed things a lot. I'd still like to know a ballpark date for v7, though.

.... I'd still like to know a ballpark date for v7, though.

Why?

I'd still like to know a ballpark date for v7, though.
Why?

Grimesgang, like RGC, I wonder "why" too? Is there some TMG feature or function you are waiting for that won't be available before version 7.0? There is still an average chance that, whatever the feature or function is, it won't make it into version 7.0. Are you looking for Vista compatibility? As noted elsewhere on this Forum, Vista compatibility is already being looked at. Additionally, TMG-Vista compatibility might not warrant a major release of TMG.

Just wondering? :unsure:

I find I upgraded to TMG 4.0 in late Apr 1999, but can't find the actual announcement. I don't believe the TMG-L archives are available from that time. Availability of TMG 5.00 was announced 12 May 2002, and TMG 6.00 was announced 21 Dec, 2004.

The only one who could say anything authoritative about a new version is Bob Velke, and I'd guess from his comments on the topic in past years he's unlikely to do so. If beta testers knew anything they would be prohibited by their confidentiality agreements from saying so. So I'd think it unlikely you will learn more than you have already learned. :(

I find I upgraded to TMG 4.0 in late Apr 1999, but can't find the actual announcement. I don't believe the TMG-L archives are available from that time. Availability of TMG 5.00 was announced 12 May 2002, and TMG 6.00 was announced 21 Dec, 2004.

You can go way back in history (and see some familiar names) on Laura Wallace's TMG page at:

http://laura.chinet.com/tmg/tmg.html

You can even download a demo of v1.

Virginia

Grimesgang, like RGC, I wonder "why" too? Is there some TMG feature or function you are waiting for that won't be available before version 7.0? There is still an average chance that, whatever the feature or function is, it won't make it into version 7.0. Are you looking for Vista compatibility? As noted elsewhere on this Forum, Vista compatibility is already being looked at. Additionally, TMG-Vista compatibility might not warrant a major release of TMG.

Just wondering? :unsure:

I guess I don't know why this is such a touchy subject. :huh:

First, as for desired features, I'm so new, in many cases I don't even know what features I might want that I don't have. Also, I have put in some wishlist items, and for the most part it's been inferred that I don't really need it, or it already exists if I do thus & such a workaround. :bash: Sorry, just my impression. Consequently, I now leave the wishlisting to the more senior types. Many wishlist items others have voiced in the past also coincide with some desires I have, but since they have been voiced, I don't see the need to repeat them.

Next, I'm nosy. I also like to know that the product I am switching to, investing one heck of a lot of time in cleaning up conversion mistakes (multiple months so far and not even close to being done), :wallbash: and changing a large part of my entire research methods for, will continue to improve and be supported. My last one (Family Matters), even though it is shareware, was excellent for a long time, made web pages without an add-on product (sorry, John, even though SS is superior, at least for TMG data), and dealt with chronicle-type data very well. The biggest problem is that the FM product seems to be stagnant; while TMG deals with sentence data, and helps to build "the book", which I am finally starting on for at least one of my multiple family lines.

Finally, I'm cheap. TMG is one of the most expensive genealogy products out there, and I don't want to pay for a product upgrade directly on the heels of a product purchase if I don't have to. Knowing an approximate upgrade timing path helps to at least assuage my perception of paying twice for a single product.

I guess I don't know why this is such a touchy subject. :huh:

I don't think the subject is touchy at all, it just left me wondering and questioning. My thought was "Why would anyone care?" Then I thought about many of the major software developers that make public their projected software release dates. Ugh! Thank goodness TMG doesn't play that type of ballgame. Then I thought about all the minor releases of TMG that were released as needed and, unlike some other genealogy software, were free. Then I thought about the sheer power of TMG and am convinced that the product more than justifies the initial cost.

If I'm not mistaken, Wholly Genes gave a 3 month window as a grace period for users going from TMG5 to TMG6. TMG is one of the best supported software products I've ever seen. The Forum, the mailing list, the Wholly Genes staff, Bob Velke, users just like you and me -- everything is in place and used to get some of the finest support available. Where will TMG be in 10 years? 20 years? Who knows? I venture to guess that there will be a hardcore group of users that will find a way no matter what. That was the mindset of UFT users and was exactly what they did -- they found a way and the way was TMG.

Hopefully, you understand now why a few of us wondered "Why?" :)

BTW, TMG does make web pages without using SS. :)

Like you, I look forward to 7.0. Hoping it will have lots of new features and ways of handling and entering data. I am just hoping to have my Chistmas bills paid down enough to be able to buy it if it's in the next month or two. I just know that Bob has said before that he will not give out release dates, so asking WHEN does no good.

But I will answer the wishlist part. Post a wishlist if you have one. If someone has figured out a way to do what you want, don't consider their "work around" as bad, but rather be thankful that there is a way to do what you want now. I use lots of work arounds and the time I have spent creating them is well worth the output they create.

Knowing when a product is going to be released means one of three things:

1: It is released ontime, bug free; which is rare.

2: It's released late, which ticks off users.

3: It's released on time, but buggy as all get outs. Really ticks off users.

So most developers just don't say when until the product is close to being released.

Now as to price. I can't remember what it was to update from 5.0-6.0, but it was incredibly reasonable and was no where near what the upgrade should have cost based on features.

When I first bought RootsIII, it was WAY more than TMG is now, and you paid more for a report writer and it was the MOST user unfriendly software I have ever used.

I understand the cleanup frustration. Believe me, I used Roots III, Roots IV, Roots VI, UFT, TMG 4.0, 5.0 and now 6.0. So I understand cleaning up data. I assure you what you are doing now, will not be wasted time when and if 7.0 does come out, unless some new feature is added that you want to take advantage of. And we all will be in that same boat. Our data will still work as it is now, but if we want to use the new feature, we will have to change a little of how we do things. But we can also choose to ignore the new feature.

Until then, enjoy learning all the features of 6.0. There are enough there to keep you busy for a VERY long time.

OK, I'm not trying to be difficult, but when might TMG 7.0 be appearing?

The answer to that is simple. The day that it is released. :D

I would think that with the advent of Vista, :lamo: there might be something over the horizon.

v6.12 runs under WinVista as a legacy program. See the document on this:

http://www.whollygenes.com/files/tmg6andwinvista.pdf

Hopefully, v7 will be WinVista-compatible.

The answer to that is simple. The day that it is released. :D

Woah!! Captain Obvious strikes again! :lmao:

I must say, Jim, that one got me rolling.

v6.12 runs under WinVista as a legacy program. See the document on this:

http://www.whollygenes.com/files/tmg6andwinvista.pdf

Hopefully, v7 will be WinVista-compatible.

I confess, I'm not up on Vista and how it's different from XP. I also figure I'm at least a year away from needing to know in detail, since I figure my P3 laptop w/ XP Home has some life in it yet, and I see no way I'll upgrade just an OS. When I change, I replace the 'puter, too.

Woah!! Captain Obvious strikes again! :lmao:

I must say, Jim, that one got me rolling.

I confess, I'm not up on Vista and how it's different from XP. I also figure I'm at least a year away from needing to know in detail, since I figure my P3 laptop w/ XP Home has some life in it yet, and I see no way I'll upgrade just an OS. When I change, I replace the 'puter, too.

Personally I'm quite happy with V6, and would rather have amendments to V6 than a whole new version.

Take windows bringing out a new version every 2 years or so, it becomes a bit of a pain as you feel you always need to have the latest one, which brings more expense and then ultimately a new PC! Very frustrating.

Shaun

Personally I'm quite happy with V6, and would rather have amendments to V6 than a whole new version.

Take windows bringing out a new version every 2 years or so, it becomes a bit of a pain as you feel you always need to have the latest one, which brings more expense and then ultimately a new PC! Very frustrating.

Shaun

I could live with that myself, also. I wasn't pushing for a new version; just being nosy, etc. (as I said above). However, at some point I would surmise there would either enough changes or some large change that Wholly Genes wants to get paid for :wink: , and I don't blame them for that, either. After all, I suspect that V6 is slightly better than V3, shall we say, and worth an upgrade payment.