HLWjr

Custom online source types using Repository group

Is there something special about creating custom source elements in the Repository group? I am trying to create custom source types for online sources following the rules in Mills' recent QuickSheet. I took a look at Lee Hoffman's TMG Tips website and found a section on it. He creates five custom source elements including Site Owner (in the Editor group) and Site Name (in the Subject group).

Well, I want to enter an online image of a book that has an editor rather than an author, so I need to have the Site Owner in a different group. After thinking about it, I decided that the website source elements were really taking the place of elements like Repository and Repository Info. So I thought that I would create a new element called Website Owner in the same group as Repository and an element called Website Name in the same group as Repository Info.

The source elements were easily created in the right groups. I made a new source type called Historical Record (online) and included the two new elements in the Full footnote field of the Add Source Type window. Then a created a test source with the new source type. I was surprised that the two new elements did not appear in any of the source element labels. I clicked on a blank label, but the two new web source element names were not in the "Select a source element" list. I was able to make it work by making a new repository with the site owner in the Repository Name field and site name in the Repository Addressee field.

So, that works OK, but I would rather have Website Owner and Website Name show up in the element labels of the Source Definition screen. Or in the labels on the Repository Definition screen. I don't like the idea of an element having one name in the "Full footnote" field and a different name in the source/repository definition screens: leads to confusion. Is there any way to make the names of elements in the various Repository groups show up in the definition screens? Obviously elements in these groups are a little different that elements in other groups.

Any ideas?

Hugh

P.S. - In case anyone is interested, here is my full footnote for Historical Record (online):

<[AUTHOR], >"[TITLE]", [RECORD TYPE], <[WEBSITE OWNER]> [iTAL:][WEBSITE TITLE][:ITAL] (: <ACCESSED [CD1]>), [CD2]

Improvements, comments welcome.

Is there something special about creating custom source elements in the Repository group?

Yes, there is really no point in it, because they will still appear in the same place in the repository entry screen.

After thinking about it, I decided that the website source elements were really taking the place of elements like Repository and Repository Info. So I thought that I would create a new element called Website Owner in the same group as Repository and an element called Website Name in the same group as Repository Info.

The source elements were easily created in the right groups. I made a new source type called Historical Record (online) and included the two new elements in the Full footnote field of the Add Source Type window. Then a created a test source with the new source type. I was surprised that the two new elements did not appear in any of the source element labels.

That's because elements in the Repository groups do not appear on the Source Definition screen, but on the Repository entry screen. If you want them on the Source Definition screen you need to create them in one of the groups that appear on that screen. For more details see my article on Source Elements and Groups