Linda Reid

Identifying split memo segments

I have a number role sentences that use split memo segments. They segments are just referenced as M1, M2, etc. in the sentence templates. Of course, they will have different uses for different sentences, and in any case could be used for whatever makes sense.

However, there usually is a purpose for each of the different segments, at least when the sentence is first created. Is there a good way to document what each segment is intended for? That certainly would be useful when wanting to add standard fields into sentences that I am not familiar with. Split memo segments also appear in sentences converted from UFT, where the UFT fields were given specific names on the Event windows. Having standard meanings for each segment would almost be necessary if you wanted to do a global change to the sentence template.

Pierce Reid

I have a number role sentences that use split memo segments. They segments are just referenced as M1, M2, etc. in the sentence templates. Of course, they will have different uses for different sentences, and in any case could be used for whatever makes sense.

However, there usually is a purpose for each of the different segments, at least when the sentence is first created. Is there a good way to document what each segment is intended for? That certainly would be useful when wanting to add standard fields into sentences that I am not familiar with. Split memo segments also appear in sentences converted from UFT, where the UFT fields were given specific names on the Event windows. Having standard meanings for each segment would almost be necessary if you wanted to do a global change to the sentence template.

Pierce Reid

I use a split CM for my census tags, but you can see a better explanation than I can give you on Terry Riegel's site, talking about Advanced Census Tags. My memo segments stand for something different, depending on census year. As for documenting, all I have found is to actually have a written explanation of the tag to remind myself. I don't think there is a renaming capability for memo splits, especially just for a particulat tag. Then again, I'm still a newbie and trying to nail this stuff down myself.

Pierce Reid

I use the [HID:] [:HID] element to remind me.

So you might have [P] was enumerated on the 1850 census <as a [HID:]role given on census[:HID] [M1]> on [DATE]. <He could [HID:]not read or read[M2].>