half pint

New Laptop for Christmas

Hi

My wonderful hubby bought me a laptop for Christmas. I have downloaded the 30 day trial version on to it and unlocked it with my serial number, fine. I then closed it and went into the project I want to transfer over, on my pc. Everything went well with the export of my gedcom until I went to press "finish" to burn it onto a CD and it came up with words to the effect that the file was running somewhere else. I have definitely closed down my laptop so can sks please tell me what I have missed or shouldn't have done.

Regards

Half Pint

You are trying to creat a GEDCOM to transfer your Project from one PC to another? Don't do that! You lose all sorts of stuff when you do.

Instead, create a Backup of the project. Then transfer that backup to the new computer (or access it over the network if you have one) and Restore the backup on the new computer.

I then closed it and went into the project I want to transfer over, on my pc. Everything went well with the export of my gedcom until I went to press "finish" to burn it onto a CD and it came up with words to the effect that the file was running somewhere else.

To get your backup to your new laptop, you should backup to your desktop's hard drive and then burn a CD with your burning software. To write directly from an application, your computer would have to have packet writing software such as Nero's InCD or Sonic's DLA installed on each computer. In my experience, using the standard burning software is much more reliable.

Kevin

You are trying to creat a GEDCOM to transfer your Project from one PC to another? Don't do that! You lose all sorts of stuff when you do.

Instead, create a Backup of the project. Then transfer that backup to the new computer (or access it over the network if you have one) and Restore the backup on the new computer.

Terry,

I have a similar problem. I would like to transfer my project from my pc to laptop. After I finish creating a backup of the project, I get this window: "Input file read failure - This error occurs when a file read operation is performed on a ZIP file that is locked or restricted by another process. Please check the destination drive." I click OK in the window and get another window: "Backup to A: [filename].sqz is complete." I'm unable to find any compress file of the project. Perhaps I'm looking in the wrong place or the project was not backedup. Thanks for any help.

Gloria

Terry,

I have a similar problem. I would like to transfer my project from my pc to laptop. After I finish creating a backup of the project, I get this window: "Input file read failure - This error occurs when a file read operation is performed on a ZIP file that is locked or restricted by another process. Please check the destination drive." I click OK in the window and get another window: "Backup to A: [filename].sqz is complete." I'm unable to find any compress file of the project. Perhaps I'm looking in the wrong place or the project was not backedup. Thanks for any help.

Gloria

You didn't say what kind of medium you are backing up to. If it is to a CD, make your backup to a folder on your computer first and then use your CD software to burn the backup .sqz file to the CD.

Does the backup path set in Preferences > Advanced correctly reflect the location to which you want the file backed up?

Virginia

You didn't say what kind of medium you are backing up to. If it is to a CD, make your backup to a folder on your computer first and then use your CD software to burn the backup .sqz file to the CD.

Does the backup path set in Preferences > Advanced correctly reflect the location to which you want the file backed up?

Virginia

Thanks very much for your tip to check the backup location in my Preferences > Advanced. It was not set properly.

I've been trying to do what Terry suggested: Backup the project on the pc, burn the backup file to a CD and then load it in TMG on my laptop. With your suggestion, I'm now been able to perform the backup, locate it, and burn it to the CD. However, when testing to see if I can open it up back on my PC (before I try on the laptop), I've encountered another problem.

I open TMG and select Import from the options in the opening window. The Wizard automatically opens. However, I can only get as far as Step 2: In Import File Type, I select from the options "TMG v4 or earlier BACKUP (.sqz)." In File to Import, I find the file and finish the step. The Wizard automatically extracts the file I found. I should then be able to move to Step 3 (selecting where to put the file) but the NEXT button is disabled and can only click BACK, CANCEL or HELP. Any thoughts on why Wizard is locking up at that phase? (When I cancel the function, it says the import didn't complete.) Or is there a way I can circumvent Wizard and transfer/extract/open the file in TMG from the CD back into my pc (and eventually, laptop)? Thanks again for any help.

Gloria

Thanks very much for your tip to check the backup location in my Preferences > Advanced. It was not set properly.

I've been trying to do what Terry suggested: Backup the project on the pc, burn the backup file to a CD and then load it in TMG on my laptop. With your suggestion, I'm now been able to perform the backup, locate it, and burn it to the CD. However, when testing to see if I can open it up back on my PC (before I try on the laptop), I've encountered another problem.

I open TMG and select Import from the options in the opening window. The Wizard automatically opens. However, I can only get as far as Step 2: In Import File Type, I select from the options "TMG v4 or earlier BACKUP (.sqz)." In File to Import, I find the file and finish the step. The Wizard automatically extracts the file I found. I should then be able to move to Step 3 (selecting where to put the file) but the NEXT button is disabled and can only click BACK, CANCEL or HELP. Any thoughts on why Wizard is locking up at that phase? (When I cancel the function, it says the import didn't complete.) Or is there a way I can circumvent Wizard and transfer/extract/open the file in TMG from the CD back into my pc (and eventually, laptop)? Thanks again for any help.

Gloria

Is it a 'v4 or earlier' project you are trying to Import? If it is TMG v5 or v6, you should open your backup file using Restore (on the File menu) rather than Import.

Virginia

Is it a 'v4 or earlier' project you are trying to Import? If it is TMG v5 or v6, you should open your backup file using Restore (on the File menu) rather than Import.

Virginia

It worked using Restore. Thank you, Virginia.

The option that I used before was the only one Wizard offered that looked even close to what I had (.sqz).

Thanks again.

Gloria

It worked using Restore. Thank you, Virginia.

The option that I used before was the only one Wizard offered that looked even close to what I had (.sqz).

Thanks again.

Gloria

You're welcome, Gloria. I'm glad you got everything working all right.

Virginia