bluedog

citation error?

I've started entering my census sources and I'm not sure if what I'm seeing is an error message or not.

This appears in front of what I had entered in the memo field for my citation: { SEQ CHAPTER \h \r 1}

Originally I had put my data in the detail field. And I either got the same thing above or something similar. So I thought maybe I had too much information. So I moved it all down to the memo field. When I went back to look, there it was again.

This is what now appears in my memo field (I cut out the web address):

{ SEQ CHAPTER \h \r 1}William Burgess, 1880 U.S. Census, Population Schedule, Milam, Texas, , 5-pct, 3 (penned), 306 (stamped), dwelling 2, family 3; National Archives Microfilm T9, Roll 1320, Digital Image at Proquest, HeritageQuest Online, Accessed 18 October 2005 at ....

Is this an error? Is it telling me to go look at some chapter somewhere?

I haven't seen this on my other sources though I admit I don't have that many nor do any of them have as much information in the detail or memo fields.

Is there a limit to how much information you can put in the detail and memo fields?

I've started entering my census sources and I'm not sure if what I'm seeing is an error message or not.

This appears in front of what I had entered in the memo field for my citation: { SEQ CHAPTER \h \r 1}

Originally I had put my data in the detail field. And I either got the same thing above or something similar. So I thought maybe I had too much information. So I moved it all down to the memo field. When I went back to look, there it was again.

{ SEQ CHAPTER \h \r 1}William Burgess, 1880 U.S. Census, Population Schedule, Milam, Texas, , 5-pct, 3 (penned), 306 (stamped), dwelling 2, family 3; National Archives Microfilm T9, Roll 1320, Digital Image at Proquest, HeritageQuest Online, Accessed 18 October 2005 at ....

I haven't seen this on my other sources though I admit I don't have that many nor do any of them have as much information in the detail or memo fields.

Is there a limit to how much information you can put in the detail and memo fields?

Did you cut and paste this from somewhere else? If so, maybe it is some hidden formatting. When you are in the Memo field, rightclick and on that menu use 'Paste Unformatted text' to see if you get the text without that notation.

Virginia

First, I assume that you mean the Citation Memo field and the Citation Detail field of the Citation window as opposed to the Memo and Detail field in other places. Second, in what context do you get this text? In the field itself? Is it there when you open the window? Is it there after entering your data?

Or are you speaking of the output in a report? What report?

Lee

Googling, I found the same notation in legal papers, minutes of meetings, several college-related documents. Examples:

http://www.lisbonvillage.com/lisbon_zoning.htm

and

http://learn.aero.und.edu/pages.asp?PageID=86388

Word processor maybe? Or RTF - which does use backslashes and braces in its codes.

Virginia

Yes, it was in the Citation Memo Field and the Citation Detail field. After reading Virginia's post I think it was probably a hidden code because I did copy & paste from WordPerfect. Though it didn't appear when I first pasted it in the fields. Only after I closed the screen and then later went back to double check something did it appear.

I deleted the offending text and it has not shown back up. I even closed out of TMG and reopened. Luckily for me, I had only done the one citation. Once I spotted it, I stopped in my tracks until the mystery was solved with your assistance.