jrw

Census data

Ok tried with the 1910, 1920, and 1930 census. Here is the output i get.

John Weis (24) was born on 16 Apr 1884 at Munson Township, Stearns Co., MN. He was baptized on 20 Apr 1884 at Richmond, Stearns Co., MN. He married Anna Schaefers (25), daughter of Johannes Herman Wilhelm Schaefers (477) and Gertrud Traun (478), on 16 Jun 1908 at Roscoe, Stearns Co., MN.

An unknown person was listed as the head of household on the 1910 census on 1 Jun 1910 Zion Township, Stearns County, Minnesota. Also living in the house was his wife, Anna Schaefers (25), his daughter, Tharsilla Gertrude Weis (26), his brother, Joseph Weis (18).

An unknown person was listed as the head of household on the 1920 census on 1 Jun 1920. Also living in the house was his wife, Anna Schaefers (25), his son, Innocenz Werner Weis (27), Carl Michael Weis (28) and Herman Joseph Weis (29), his daughter, Tharsilla Gertrude Weis (26), Catherine Mary Weis (30), Dula Elizabeth Weis (31) and Edith Margaret Weis (32).

An unknown person was listed as the head of household on the 1930 census on 19 Apr 1930 Roscoe, Stearns, Minnesota. Also living in the house was. He died on 15 May 1950 at Roscoe, Stearns Co., MN, at age 66.

No idea why the 3rd sentence is terminating. I seem to have all the roles right in the first 3. No matter how i change the principal i cant seem to make it take R:Head of Family and use him for the principal. The 1930 sentence didnt used to terminate but began doing so after I entered the 1920 census

This is the R:Head of family sentence for 1930

[:CR:][:TAB:][R:Head of Family] was listed as the head of household on the 1930 census <[D]> < [L]>. Also living in the house was <his wife, [R:wife]> <, his son, [R:son]> <, his daughter, [R:daughter]> <, his aunt, [R:aunt]> <, his brother, [R:brother]> <, his brother-in-law, [R:brother-in-law]><, his cousin, [R:cousin]> <, his daughter-in-law, [R:daughter-in-law]> <, a farm hand, [R:farm hand]> <, his father-in-law, [R:father-in-law]> <, his grandchild, [R:grandchild]> <, his granddaughter, [R:granddaughter]> <, his grandfather, [R:grandfather]> <, his grandmother, [R:grandmother]> <, his grandson, [R:grandson]> <, a hired girl, [R:hired girl]> <, [R:husband]> <, a lodger, [R:lodger]> <, his mother, [R:mother]> <, his mother-in-law, [R:mother-in-law]> <, his nephew, [R:nephew]> <, his neice, [R:neice]> <, a servant, [R:servant]> <, his son-in-law, [R:son-in-law]> <, his step daughter, [R:step daughter]> <, his step son, [R:step son]> <, his uncle, [R:uncle]> <, his sister, [R:sister]> <, his sister-in-law, [R:sister-in-law]>. <[M]>

and this is the listing for head of family role

R:Head of Family

Would post screen shotsif i could figure out how

Edit: Ok fixed the 1930 census. Somehow it reset all the children from there roles back to witness without roles. Now the only problem remaining is the listing for R:head of houshold as unknown, and how to make it display the census citations in the printout and how to make it say son(s) and daughter(s)

Edited by jrw

Deleting the R: part seems to have fixed the 1920 census. Just did it on tag. I assume this will fix the rest. Thanks. Sorry for my lack of understanding

jrw

Yup this solved the problem on all 3 census. Now moving to bibilography. When these are all working perfectly going to start moving to earlier census, and more mass census data and picture entry. Thanks

jrw

BTW do you manually enter the S for multiple sons/daughters, and do you modifiy the sentence and place in the female role for female heads of families?

jrw

Was also looking at your WWI draft registration sentences. Did you modify a military tag or a misc event tag to make the tag for those?

john

Edited by jrw

Going very well now. Entered 1900 to 1930 census and it prints well, even when i use a female head of household. The plural s eludes me atm. Also figured out how to attach it to a source and a citation detail. When i print journal or narrative enties cant figure out how to make it print the source references to screen so i can corret them. Intend to check it out wih census back to 1850 before I begin in ernest. Then I need to figure out the issue of pictures. I can scan them but the thread on meta data with pictures is interesting if i can figure it out. When I link the census and BMD scans from the tag screen I have them stored in multiple subfolders. Would they be remain external exhibits or become internal ( i prefer the former for convenince of back up of scanned data to an external hard drive)

jrw

What I did was eventually created roles for when there are more than one son, and use those. They are identical to the other roles, just add the S.

So I have a role like:

05-10 Free white male

05-10 Free white males

10-15 Free white male

10-15 Free white males.

I prefer my exhibits to be external, because I use Second Site for my output and it only uses external, plus I have about 5 GB of pictures, most attached to TMG, and I wouldn't want to back those up each time I back up TMG, usually several times a day on a big data entry day. When you link them, they will stay external. And you will need to back them up separately.

On the WWII draft cards, I just created a new tag in the OTHER group. Now that you have the basics down, it will be easy to do.

Plus I got your note, and you are welcome. Reading your posts will help people like Terry, Lee and I make our help pages more helpful. WHen you know the program it's sometimes easy to overlook what might not be obvious to someone who isn't.

Hi Betty,

I am trying to use your census information and I am trying to get the age given to appear for the witnesses, I did get the Principal's age to show up. I am sure I am missing some step, but for the life of me I can't see it :(

Thank you in advance

Cassandra

Hi John,

I have the census read out pretty nice and I have the exhibit attached to each person. I am trying to use the Betty Frain system just for the age given I like that and I have gotten it to print out for the Principal and the Principal Other but not for the children. I have tried writing to Betty Frain but she hasn't written me back.

If you would like me to send you the way I have my census information let me know.

Cassandra

ctexas@charter.net

3. Scanning is a tricky problem. I am told the most lossless scans are BMP (essentially proprietary windows) or TIFF ( most commonly used in publications). I would like to hope that someday my data would be preserved and even published. My understanding of Jpeg was that you got smaller files but had to accept a lossy format. Is this incorrect?

I really appreciate the advice. Wish one of you was local to SLC because i would love to see each system in action.

John Weis

Jpeg's are fine as long as you don't need to open them and edit them. That is when they start to lose quality. If you plan on just viewing them and not editing them again and again then they are fine. I save documents as Jpeg's when I scan them in. Another way to save them would be to save them as a PDF file as well. These are becoming increasingly popular for saving documents.

I save TIFF files for old pictures that I am going to need to edit and do some work on.

I don't know about submitting to publications though, if I were you I would get in contact with them to see. I haven't submitted things before so I really can't say on this. If that is true and that is what you are working towards then definitely go with what they want.

PDF files are not a good way to store images. One of the compressed TIF formats is a good lossless format, and JPG is fine for most images if you are not going to edit the original.

Jpeg's are fine as long as you don't need to open them and edit them. That is when they start to lose quality. If you plan on just viewing them and not editing them again and again then they are fine. I save documents as Jpeg's when I scan them in. Another way to save them would be to save them as a PDF file as well. These are becoming increasingly popular for saving documents.

I save TIFF files for old pictures that I am going to need to edit and do some work on.

How much loss you can tolerate depends on what you plan to do with an image. You might want to look at a photograph in some detail, or select out just a part for reproduction, so you probably don't want to loose any detail.

For a document image, you just want to be able to read what it says. For example, a census page has fairly broad pencil lines, and as long as you can read the words, greater detail is not needed. As well, if the image is taken from an old, somewhat blury microfilm image, keeping all the blury detail may be of little value. You can generally save them in a file of several hundred kilobytes, rather than megabytes if you save them with no loss. Of course, some of the later American censuses have a lot of detail, so the files are likely to be larger.

Larger files take more time to load and copy, and you cannot keep as many on your archival media. That might mean more documentation about just what part of a directory is on each of the CDs or DVDs that you are saving. Keeping unnecessary image detail when it creates more external work (i.e. cataloging your physical media) may not be a useful trade-off.

Pierce