khursta

Do I really need "Getting The Most Out of The Master Genealogist"?

I am a new user of Version 6.12 (received for Christmas). I received "The Master Genealogist Users Guide" also and have recently purchased the first 3 dvd helpers.

So how much would I really get out of the above title book? I saw the offer for the scratch and dent sale of them and might be considering one.

Kathy

Edited by khursta

I have it, recommend it, and always include the book when I'm making a gift of TMG. The chapter on using VCF is alone worth the cost for me. You may find helpful the reviews on Amazon, particularly that of D. Davenport (who also has the training media), and also Terry's overview.

http://www.amazon.com/Getting-Most-Out-Mas...TF8&s=books

Virginia

I am a new user of Version 6.12 (received for Christmas). I received "The Master Genealogist Users Guide" also and have recently purchased the first 3 dvd helpers.

So how much would I really get out of the above title book? I saw the offer for the scratch and dent sale of them and might be considering one.

Kathy

I found the book to be an excellent source for Sentences and Citations, along with several other things. I still refer to it often. Another excellent source is the collection of websites by TMG supporters. I especially find Terry Riegel's site to be very informative. It can help you formulate a research and domumentation structure before getting too deep.

I have it, recommend it, and always include the book when I'm making a gift of TMG. The chapter on using VCF is alone worth the cost for me. You may find helpful the reviews on Amazon, particularly that of D. Davenport (who also has the training media), and also Terry's overview.

http://www.amazon.com/Getting-Most-Out-Mas...TF8&s=books

Virginia

Thanks Virginia--I will consider the purchase further

I found the book to be an excellent source for Sentences and Citations, along with several other things. I still refer to it often. Another excellent source is the collection of websites by TMG supporters. I especially find Terry Riegel's site to be very informative. It can help you formulate a research and domumentation structure before getting too deep.

I need help with citations and sources especially. Could you please post Terry's website that you talk of above?

I think the book may be very helpful to me.

Then you answered you own question. Whether you need it or not, to me would be based on how easy you find TMG to learn. If you feel you need all the help you can get, and most of us did when we were learning, then you will want to get it.

TMG is easy enough to use that I did not think the book was worth buying. At first I was only interested in a way to safely store the data I had collected. When I got in touch with a distant cousin with whom I want to share information I started to question the quality of my work.

I was not 100% satisfied with how my report were coming out, so sharing my information was not going to be as easy as I hoped it would be.

I read a number of posts about how to enter certain types of information and began to wonder if I was doing things the right way.

I decided to buy the book to see how others thought the program should be used. A few hours after receiving the book I feel I got my money's worth already. I quickly found a way deal with potential duplicates that I did not have enough information yet to determine if they truly were. How to enter conflicting information is no longer a mystery. Etc ........

The TMG user manual covers how the program work and how you can work with your DATA. Getting The Most Out of The Master Genealogist deals more with turning your data into better INFORMATION. If you're serious about genealogy and/or are not an expert then I believe buying the book is money well spent.

Alvin Ramard