wghayes

Focus Group does not select spouses

I am in the process of moving groups of people from one dataset to another using Focus Group. But the spouses of descendants all have to be added individually which is very time-consuming. My technique is as follows.

1. I select an accent color for the Focus Group to be certain that folks are added.

2. I add the ancestor of the group to the empty Focus Group.

3. I then check the Descendants box (250 generations), and the Spouses and Name Variations boxes.

4. I then click on the "Add Other" button.

The problem is that when I look through the dataset, I find that the spouses of the descendants are not in the Focus Group.

Am I doing something wrong? Do they have to be added one at a time? Is there a way to include them, and perhaps even their parents?

1. I select an accent color for the Focus Group to be certain that folks are added.

2. I add the ancestor of the group to the empty Focus Group.

3. I then check the Descendants box (250 generations), and the Spouses and Name Variations boxes.

4. I then click on the "Add Other" button.

The problem is that when I look through the dataset, I find that the spouses of the descendants are not in the Focus Group.

Am I doing something wrong?

The problem is you never told TMG to add the spouses of the descendants - rather, you told it to add the spouses of the single ancestor.

The "Add Others" adds people who are related to the people already in the Focus Group, and who are selected (high-lighted). It does not add the ancestors of those you are currently adding, nor the descendants of those you are currently adding, nor the spouses of those you are currently adding.

Do they have to be added one at a time? Is there a way to include them, and perhaps even their parents?

No, you don't have to add them one at a time. Rather, you use the "Add Others" function step by step.

First, put the Ancestor in the FG. Then, use Add Others to add the descendants, as you have done before.

Next, Click Select All to select everyone in the FG, and use Add Others to add their spouses.

Now, if you want to add the parents of the spouses, Select All again, and use Add Others to add ancestors for one generation (if the ancestors of your starting person exist in the data set, and you don't want them added, use Ctrl-click to un-select that person, and probably his or her spouse, before adding the Ancestors).