Debra

Sharing TMG data

I want to share data in my TMG ver 6 with a family member who is just starting genealogy research. I don't want to use a GEDCOM file to export, because I understand some details will be lost and my relative has just purchased TMG software. Seems the easiest way to share what I have is to send my relative a backup file of my database, that way he'll have everything I've got. But he only needs two branches of the four branches of my family. The backup file of the entire database is huge, too big to e-mail. So, my question-

Does anyone know how I can make a backup or export to TMG a portion of my database?

Thanks in advance,

Debra

You do it by creating a temporary project that contains only those you want to share, and making the backup from that.

You make the temporary project by using the Secondary Output option on the List of People report.

The trick is to tell the List of People report just who you want to include. There are several methods:

- Use a filter in the List of People report that defines who you want

- Collect the desired people in a Focus group, and use that in the List of People report

- Select the desired people in the Project Explorer, and use that in the List of People report.

If you need help doing this, just ask. :) The first chore is defining exactly who you want to include...

The ancestors or descendants of someone, siblings, spouses, parents of spouses, grandparents of spouses, siblings of spouses, other spouses of those spouses, etc.

I want to share data in my TMG ver 6 with a family member who is just starting genealogy research. I don't want to use a GEDCOM file to export, because I understand some details will be lost and my relative has just purchased TMG software. Seems the easiest way to share what I have is to send my relative a backup file of my database, that way he'll have everything I've got. But he only needs two branches of the four branches of my family. The backup file of the entire database is huge, too big to e-mail. So, my question-

Does anyone know how I can make a backup or export to TMG a portion of my database?

Thanks in advance,

Debra

Debra,

If they don't mind storing the non-relatives, it might still be a good idea to give them your entire file. If they have a fairly new computer, space should not be a problem. That way you have an off-site backup. Even filtering out half your family may still leave a rather large backup file.

There are some commercial web sites, some free, which allow you to upload files that can be downloaded by others. Your ISP may provide that service. Some services are free, at least for "small" files (which may still be larger than your backup file size).

Thanks for the suggestions. I'm hesitant to give my entire database, though my family member has said that it wouldn't be a problem for him. I had tried copying the project and than filtering the project to delete those I didn't want, but got overwhelmed by the number of individuals I was trying to delete. I hadn't thought of doing it using the List of People report - didn't know that was possible. Thanks much for the suggestion. I'm going to give it a try.

Debra

I followed Terry's directions and was successful in getting the separate project. However, the project does not have all the accents that I so diligently created and implemented. I was able to load one set of accents, but not multiple sets. Is there a way to include all of those in the new project?

Kathryn

Edited by gratop

The Accents are stored in .acc files in the folder which contains the Project. Using Windows Explorer, copy all those files to the folder with the new project, and they will become available.