Daryl Edmonds

Upgrading UK edition.

According to the "help>about" button, my programme is Gold UK Edition, v6.07.00. When I downloaded and tried to run the update I received an error message, "This patch file is for the U.K. Edition of TMG and is not appropriate for your installation. Please choose "Check for an update from TMG help menu...etc"." Which, of course, is what I did in the first place before I received the message!

How do I go about upgrading to the latest version? My original installation was not the UK version, but the programme I'm using now is supposed to be the UK version, as I downloaded it after a computer re-format last year. Prior to that I was using v4.0c then v5 and lastly v6, but that was before the UK version was available (I think).

I would like to be able to run the latest version but I'm being frustrated by this error message. What's the answer, please?

Cheers, Daryl.

Hi, Daryl,

instead of using TMG's feature "Check for an update" may be you could try this:

Go directly to the Upgrade Center of Wholly Genes Inc. at http://www.whollygenes.com/Merchant2/merch...Screen=UPGRADES

Scroll down at page until you come to the section "The Master Genealogist -- Gold UK Edition".

Then download the patch for UK versions v6.00.000-v6.10.000 and save it e.g. on your desktop.

After the download completed move / copy that patch to your main TMG folder (where TMG is installed) ... then double-click to execute it from there.

According to the "help>about" button, my programme is Gold UK Edition, v6.07.00. When I downloaded and tried to run the update I received an error message, "This patch file is for the U.K. Edition of TMG and is not appropriate for your installation. Please choose "Check for an update from TMG help menu...etc"." Which, of course, is what I did in the first place before I received the message!

Go directly to the Upgrade Center of Wholly Genes Inc. at http://www.whollygenes.com/Merchant2/merch...Screen=UPGRADES

Scroll down at page until you come to the section "The Master Genealogist -- Gold UK Edition".

Then download the patch for UK versions v6.00.000-v6.10.000 and save it e.g. on your desktop.

After the download completed move / copy that patch to your main TMG folder (where TMG is installed) ... then double-click to execute it from there.

Thank you, Vera. Unfortunately that achieved the same results as last time.

Perhaps I could move the existing program into a backup folder I have on another drive and then download the complete latest version instead of the upgrade. Would my current serial number work on another download? If it did work, I could then copy the necessary files across from my existing version. Or, it might be easier to restore from the latest backup. Are exhibits saved in a full backup? If not, I could copy them across, I guess.

How do I include quotes from another post, as you did in your reply to my post?

Sorry to hear that it didn't work, Daryl. :(

While re-reading your original post I would like to verify something which might be the reason for this behavior.

You said you previously used TMG's U.S. version and probably got your personal license number for that U.S. version, right?

Then you said after a computer re-format you installed the TMG U.K. version.... did you use the US version license key to unlock the UK version?

If so I would think (but no doubt I might be wrong here) that this didn't work OK and now you are unable to upgrade the UK version.

In that case I don't see any other chance than to contact Wholly Genes support directly for help.

The forum software does that for you immediately when you click the Reply button. ;)

If you like to quote something such a "code" always starts with "quote" and ends with "/quote" put in square brackets .... please note that in the first case the "/" is missing.

In addition to Vera's method:

- highlight the text you want to quote.

- at bottom of screen, click on Fast Reply

- click on 'Add Selected Text as Quote' (under Fast Reply box)

- enter your own message

- click Add Reply

Virginia