MWNelson

Common Ancestor - how to best link

What is the best way to connect a child (already in project) to a parent (already in project). The circumstance is that a newly discovered "line" that led back to a (many greats) grandfather already in the database. What effect will making this connection have on charts?

Thank you.

M W Nelson

In the child detail display double click on father and/or mother directly below the clild name. On the tag entry screen enter the correct father's ID number. Repeat the process for the mother. Don't have much experience with charts, suspect it kind of depends on where the child fits in the family line. Since you say this is a newly discovered "line", I expect it will make a significant change to any existing charts. However if just a lone child (one person) doubt it would be a major change. However, TMG will simply include the person in the appropriate chart if you are building a new report. Making changes to chart layouts is beyond my skill level. For starters suggest looking at Terry's TMG Tips: http://tmg.reigelridge.com/index.htm.

Bob Bennett

In the child detail display double click on father and/or mother directly below the clild name. On the tag entry screen enter the correct father's ID number.

I think this is in line with my concern. I, too, am new to TMG, having used "Brother's Keeper" exclusively since 1994. When entering a "new" person in Brother's Keeper (and I must say that I greatly prefer the DOS version 5.2G over any of the Windows versions)- as soon as you enter a person's name, a "picklist" appears with any person already in the database having the same first and last names (or at least the first five letters of each name).

This evening, for example, I was entering information on a person in my database who had recently died, and whose obituary was in the newspaper. The obituary- of course- listed her parents, who were not previously listed in my data. I entered her father's name and was rather surprised that anyone else in the database with that name (and there WERE others) were not displayed!

If a person is already in a database- and especially a rather large database, as mine is- does TMG not prompt you that you have entered a name which is already listed? Is there a way to enable this feature in TMG? It has proved invaluable in Brother's Keeper, and I just sort of expected it in a much more powerful program.

"RadioHead"

..hen entering a "new" person in Brother's Keeper (and I must say that I greatly prefer the DOS version 5.2G over any of the Windows versions)- as soon as you enter a person's name, a "picklist" appears with any person already in the database having the same first and last names (or at least the first five letters of each name).

This evening, for example, I was entering information on a person in my database who had recently died, and whose obituary was in the newspaper. The obituary- of course- listed her parents, who were not previously listed in my data. I entered her father's name and was rather surprised that anyone else in the database with that name (and there WERE others) were not displayed!

If a person is already in a database- and especially a rather large database, as mine is- does TMG not prompt you that you have entered a name which is already listed? Is there a way to enable this feature in TMG? It has proved invaluable in Brother's Keeper, and I just sort of expected it in a much more powerful program.

"RadioHead"

Personally, I think that would be confusing where a lot of people exist with the same name in a large database, but I can see where you are coming from.

Have you tried customising your layouts so that you have the Project explorer window visible (and linked) when you are entering data?

it is very useful to check against that when entering, especially with the ability to expand the line so descendants are visible etc

There is an option somewhere that alerts you to the opposite, ie a new or mispelt surname has just been entered, so absence of this means you have got at least one person with this surname <g>

There is an option somewhere that alerts you to the opposite, ie a new or mispelt surname has just been entered, so absence of this means you have got at least one person with this surname

This "option" is under File > Preferences > Options > Program Options > Warnings.

Here you may want to check "Warn when surname does not exist".