GenerationGoneBy

WISHLIST-Research log

I am working on the research log and would like to see some ways of making it easier to use.

:) When I open the research log (not from a person), I would like to see a hierachy similiar to this:

-John Smith

+CENSUS

+MARRIAGES

-ESTATE

-Will

-Probate

-Final Sell

+BIRTH

+Jane Doe

+Rebecca Smith.

By clicking on the + button I could see tasks for each person, or each type of task.

It would be really nice if we could assign icons to people and tasks as well, but that might be asking way to much. ;)

Each research task would be assigned to a person based on the same criteria it uses now. If it is a person task, then it would be attached to the person. If it is an event task, it would be attached to each person in the event. The task would have a new field called TYPE, where the user could define the type of task each task was. So in my example, Will, Probate and Final Sell would all be ESTATE tasks.

In the Research log view, tasks would be group by PERSON>TASK TYPE>TASK

When viewing the task log from a person, I wouldn't see the people hierachy, but would see:

+CENSUS

+MARRIAGES

-ESTATE

-Will

-Probate

-Final Sell

+BIRTH

This way I could group tasks together in the research log and see what I had done. Like any tree, clicking on the + or - sign would open or close that part of the tree.

:) Another thing I would like is to be able to see the stages of a task in the research log. Red could mean designed, Yellow could mean began, Red could be completed.

I would also like to see completed tasks in the list, but greyed out a little and possilby with a line through the name.

:) Another thing I would like is a way to set up reminders on tasks to remind me to work on them. I could have it set to remind me to work on Census every Thursday, or if I knew I was headed to Salt Lake on the 14, I could set certain tasks to remind me to do them while I was there. WHen TMG was opened, I would get a reminder these tasks needed my attention.

:) Oh and as I have asked for many times before, tasks would not be just for P1 and P2 anymore, but rather would show up in the research log of the witnesses attached to tags as well.

Glad you could understand it. The post lost my formatting. The TASK TYPE should be indented over a little from the name, and the TASK Name a little more.

I know I would use it extensively. Sure am glad to see at least one other person would too.

TO get an idea of what I had in mind, I was trialing a software called Swift-to-do list. It has many of the features I would love to see TMG's research log incorporate. I'd rather have all my data in TMG instead of using outside programs.

Edited by GenerationGoneBy

Ideas look good and would certainly be useful. However, even more important to me is if printing out the Research Log would include the name of the person to whom the items are attached!!!! I use my Research Log as a 'holding file' for info found online and/or that I've recorded in GedStar at various repositories then copy/paste into the Log while checking for duplication, correctness and/or need for custom tags, etc. In many instances in earlier times :rolleyes: I neglected to note when completed and remove it. To go through all the entries to check whether I've actually entered the info, I printed out a 130-page list only to find, to my horror, that it hasn't printed the names......I'm now having to go through my entire database to check who these entries belong to! Ugh, what a job, especially as once I write in the associated names, I then have to go back again to the individual's & go through the info for that person to find out if all is entered.....

B)

Joan