kevin_b

Maintenance produced GEDCOM entries

I decided to run the maintenance options on my database today. I ran each option. After the integrity checker was completed it said it fixed 155 possible errors. Where do I find what it fixed?

Also, I now have several tag types which say GEDCOM instead of what they used to be - Address, etc. What causes this?

Just a follow-up: Now with everyone of those entries, if I double-click on it to view the entry, click the tag type button, and then click Close, I get the following error:

post-7374-1171844820_thumb.jpg

Edited by kevin_b

I decided to run the maintenance options on my database today. I ran each option. After the integrity checker was completed it said it fixed 155 possible errors. Where do I find what it fixed?

Also, I now have several tag types which say GEDCOM instead of what they used to be - Address, etc. What causes this?

A list of fixes is in the file 'Last VFI.log' in your project folder. I had a similar number of errors reported the first time I ran VFI in v6.12. I believe in this instance it was routine housekeeping in the internal data tables, not problems in our data.

Have you tried running the maintenance options again? The most effective order is Optimize - VFI - Optimize, repeating that sequence until no more errors are reported. Optimize (which includes Reindex) has the effect of cleaning up after VFI. Rebooting your computer may also help.

Virginia

A list of fixes is in the file 'Last VFI.log' in your project folder. I had a similar number of errors reported the first time I ran VFI in v6.12. I believe in this instance it was routine housekeeping in the internal data tables, not problems in our data.

Have you tried running the maintenance options again? The most effective order is Optimize - VFI - Optimize, repeating that sequence until no more errors are reported. Optimize (which includes Reindex) has the effect of cleaning up after VFI. Rebooting your computer may also help.

Virginia

Thanks for the reply, Virginia. This seems to be the bulk of the errors:

2007.02.18, 13:15:40 >17% Checking names...

2007.02.18, 13:15:40 >Fixed empty date in name table - 154

I'll try running things again as you suggested.

Thanks,

Kevin

I'll try running things again as you suggested.

Kevin,

just in case running maintenance tools again doesn't help... could you then please post the following two screenshots of the Tag Type Definition screen (Tools > Master Tag Type List > highlight "wrong labeled" tag i.e. Address > click "Edit")

1) Tab "General"

2) Tab "Other"

of one of those tags which now shows "GEDCOM" instead of Address etc. ?

Kevin,

just in case running maintenance tools again doesn't help... could you then please post the following two screenshots of the Tag Type Definition screen (Tools > Master Tag Type List > highlight "wrong labeled" tag i.e. Address > click "Edit")

1) Tab "General"

2) Tab "Other"

of one of those tags which now shows "GEDCOM" instead of Address etc. ?

Here you go, thanks.

post-7374-1172024638_thumb.jpg

post-7374-1172024649_thumb.jpg

Here you go, thanks.

You're welcome, Kevin. :)

The screenshots you kindly provided look totally OK. Absolutely no anomalies.

You're using a custom language, right?

So where do you see the "strange" GEDCOM label instead of i.e. "Address"?

Only the Tag Entry screen (as visible from the previous screenshot you already provided), on the Details screen for a person as well and / or anywhere else?

When you go to the folder where your project is stored you'll find a table named xxx_t.dbf and another table named xxx_t.fpt.

Please just make a copy of these two tables (nothing else please) and sent them to me - Click here!

As Vera observed, you appear to be using a custom language ('English' is shown in the screenshots). Have you tried switching to the default English (U.S.) or English (U.K.) and see if the problem is also there?

Later: Oops! The fact that English is shown does not indicate that you have a custom language named 'English', rather it indicates that you did not choose to install the Language option when you installed TMG. The language option is not necessary if you don't plan to use other languages, and I apologize for misinterpreting what appeared in your screenshots.

Virginia

Edited by Virginia Blakelock

You're welcome, Kevin. :)

The screenshots you kindly provided look totally OK. Absolutely no anomalies.

You're using a custom language, right?

No custom language

So where do you see the "strange" GEDCOM label instead of i.e. "Address"?

Only the Tag Entry screen (as visible from the previous screenshot you already provided), on the Details screen for a person as well and / or anywhere else?

On some of my entries, it's almost as if the software pulled out memo's from certain tags (birth for example) and address tags and made them their own GEDCOM tags. Maybe I'm entering them in wrong, but I don't see how.

When you go to the folder where your project is stored you'll find a table named xxx_t.dbf and another table named xxx_t.fpt.

Please just make a copy of these two tables (nothing else please) and sent them to me - Click here!

Done...

Later: Oops! The fact that English is shown does not indicate that you have a custom language named 'English', rather it indicates that you did not choose to install the Language option when you installed TMG. The language option is not necessary if you don't plan to use other languages, and I apologize for misinterpreting what appeared in your screenshots.

Hi, Virginia,

many thanks for re-checking.

I also have to apologize for my misinterpretation at this point. :notworthy:

Hi, Kevin,

Done...

Thanks for the two files you provided.

I carefully checked them (entry by entry) and they are also totally OK.

On some of my entries, it's almost as if the software pulled out memo's from certain tags (birth for example) and address tags and made them their own GEDCOM tags. Maybe I'm entering them in wrong, but I don't see how.

That is really very strange and obscure. I've never seen this happen before.

I would like to look at your project and need a backup of a part of it. For details how to do that please see my email sent directly to you.

Hi, Kevin,

Thanks for the two files you provided.

I carefully checked them (entry by entry) and they are also totally OK.

That is really very strange and obscure. I've never seen this happen before.

I would like to look at your project and need a backup of a part of it. For details how to do that please see my email sent directly to you.

I'll try and get this to you today. I've added a good bit of info since, I'll re-run the maintenance and see if it does it to my new records.

I'll try and get this to you today. I've added a good bit of info since, I'll re-run the maintenance and see if it does it to my new records.

Email sent!

I have another related question as well. Those that show GEDCOM, how can I change it back to Address? If I click 'tag type' in the entry, Address isn't listed.

Email sent!

I have another related question as well. Those that show GEDCOM, how can I change it back to Address? If I click 'tag type' in the entry, Address isn't listed.

Suspect you'll have a bit of problem going from one group to anohter Kevin.

Address is in the Address tag group and Gedcom is in the Other Event group

Either settle for Residence as the tag type instead, or

be prepared to do a few copy/pastes between tags or

do some cosmetic edits to the data you want in the gedcom group to get them into the clipboard and set up a new tag and use F3 to repeat the info from the gedcom tag or

check out whether or not John Cardinal's TMG utility might be able to help

Email sent!

Thanks a lot, Kevin... got it.

Need to do a couple of testing now and will get back to you directly.

GEDCOM and i.e. Address are in different "Tag Groups" ==> Address in Address and GEDCOM in Other Events - so you won't see both listed when you click on the Tag type button from Tag Entry screen.

John Cardinal's TMG Utility program "normally" does such things but in your special case please be very, very careful if you would like to test it because not only Address tags are affected but some others as well. So i.e. saying "change GEDCOM tag to Address tag" would only mix up your data even more than they already are.

Thanks a lot, Kevin... got it.

Need to do a couple of testing now and will get back to you directly.

GEDCOM and i.e. Address are in different "Tag Groups" ==> Address in Address and GEDCOM in Other Events - so you won't see both listed when you click on the Tag type button from Tag Entry screen.

John Cardinal's TMG Utility program "normally" does such things but in your special case please be very, very careful if you would like to test it because not only Address tags are affected but some others as well. So i.e. saying "change GEDCOM tag to Address tag" would only mix up your data even more than they already are.

Thanks Vera, I'll make the changes manually.

Aloha,

Kevin

Thanks Vera, I'll make the changes manually.

Aloha,

Kevin

OK, Kevin.

You're welcome in case you may need any further help. :)