sherylt

Installer hangs with v6.12 on Windows Vista

I am trying to install on a new Windows Vista machine and have tried a number of different things all of which hang the installer at the first (I think) file: C:\\Windows\Fonts\Foxfont.fon I have tried installing to C:\Program Files\The Master Genealogist and C:\\TMG. I have just run the file and have also tried making sure I ran as Administrator.

Any ideas would be appreciated.

Thanks,

Sheryl

Don't have any good ideas. I've installed TMG v6.12 under WinVista at least a couple of dozen times with no problem. You do not need to run the installer as administrator... just the program.

Virginia suggests that this was once caused by an anti-virus program. To test that, you should temporarily disable your antivirus scanner and try the installer with the antivirus scanner turned off.

Before the test, I would close all running programs and particularly any program that is a security concern while your antivirus scanner is off such as any email and instant messaging clients.

Edited by Jim Byram

Just to follow up on this, I was able to get further into the install by using a suggestion from Virginia to try installing in Safe Mode. In safe mode I can pass the foxfont.fon file but get stuck, as Bob mentioned in a post below, with the error:

"The file 'C:\\Windows\system32\mfc42.dll' could not be opened. Please check that your disk is not full and that you have access to the destination directory."

So, I'm still looking for a final installation solution...any additional ideas are still welcome =)

Thanks,

Sheryl

Did you try installing with your antivirus scanner turned off as suggested above?

I did a web search for the mfc42.dll issue but have not found another good idea yet.

Yes, I have tried with A/V and firewall and anything else I can think of turned off. I have tried in safe mode. Still get the same error. The file is located in the windows/system32 directory, is not read-only and the "trustedinstaller" permissions are "full control." I assume TMG is a trusted installer?

I have been searching the web too with no real luck either. I wonder if it has something to do with the Dell install of Vista?

Looking at whether this is a known installer issue. The pattern suggests a third party application is involved. Can you list everything that was installed between when WinVista was installed and when the TMG install was attempted.

Looking at whether this is a known installer issue. The pattern suggests a third party application is involved. Can you list everything that was installed between when WinVista was installed and when the TMG install was attempted.

These are the programs that have been installed since Vista (the out of the box configuration from Dell) in the order they were installed:

Dell Connect

MSXML 4.0 SP2

MS Office Professional 2003

Palm Desktop

Norton AntiVirus

LiveUpdate 3.2 (for Norton A/V)

Documents To Go (an application for the Palm)

Adobe Reader 7.0.9

Living Cookbook

Mozilla Firefox (2.0.0.2)

<-- At this point I started to try and install TMG

The GIMP 2.2.13

GTK+2.10.6-1 runtime environment

Google Toolbar for IE

Thanks for your help Jim, Virginia, and all!

Sheryl

Based on Bob's list posted here I uninstalled Office 2003. This did not help. In regular mode the installer hung at the foxfont.fon file (see initial posting above) and in safe mode I got the mfc42.dll error.

I'm wondering if the installer could be reprogrammed (by the developers) to allow a "skip this file" feature so the install could possibly be compeleted instead of aborted at this error...?

As Bob said "Don't know where to go from here."

Thanks,

Sheryl

Well, I finally got it installed :D but my solution probably will not be too helpful. I ended up resetting my computer to the Dell "factory configuration" which is basically a hard drive wipe and reinstall of OS and other factory installed programs. I had other reasons to do this besides TMG not installing, such as a flaky wireless connection and the feeling that I had "over-tweaked" my network settings. So, after the reconfiguration I installed TMG first and it went on fine. No foxfont.fon hang or mfc42.dll error and I didn't have to go into safe mode either, so for me, I am happy. Still no real idea what was causing the problem...

Thanks to all who stuck with me through this! If you need any more information about my system, files, or programs please don't hesitate to ask.

Many thanks. This lends further support to the idea that the installer issue is a conflict with something that had been installed between the WinVista install and the TMG install. Still have no idea what.

Many thanks. This lends further support to the idea that the installer issue is a conflict with something that had been installed between the WinVista install and the TMG install. Still have no idea what.

Jim, I started over and re-installed Vista from CD. After the requisite Microsoft patches the next thing to install was TMG. Everything went without a hitch. Loaded the rest of my software and now everything works. No idea why the 6.12 install failed before but it was time to move on.

Thanks for the help that you and Shryit provided to help me resolve this issue.

For the record, Phil says that another user with the install issue was able to install TMG with no problem after the WinVista KB925902 hotfix was applied on 3 Apr.

I think the problem comes from that some system files in Vista is not owned by the user, even if the user is an adminsitrator, but by "Trusted Installer", another superduperuser, more super than the Administrator, or something like that.

This is what I did to install at Vista (still some minor problems, but getting better):

* I restarted, and did F8 before the Windowslogo and started in Safe Mode. Probably you do not need to do that - but that leaves most other progs that could cause problems out.

* I then started to install. It nnow got pass the ..font...sys problem, and to the ..42.dll somethingproblem that has been reproted as the next place it stops.

* I then opened the folder windows/system32 and found that file. I made a copy just to be safe. I then leftclicked the original and chose properties. then security, and then I took advanced, and edited ownership from Trusted Installer to Administrators. You get some warnings. I then gave Administrators all rights for the file.

* I then started install again and now it stopped at olepro32.dll. I repeated as above.

* It then stopped at oleaut32.dll, then at msvcrt.dll, then at msdxm.ocx - repeat for all of them.

* It then istalled with a strange error message at the end, about GCJ168.tmp and lots of blabla about HAL.dll - but I just got on - and it said it needed to restart, and I did so and back again to a normal start, and there it was.

I do think some programmer should make a Vista-proof release, becaue this took a looooong time, and you need to be bold and have a good back-up of the whole machine before doing things with the System32-files.

Good luck!

I, too, had problems installing TMG 6.12 on a new Vista machine. It kept hanging up with a rights error. **I had changed the the TMG installer to operate in XPSP2 mode and changed it to operate with administrator rights prior to trying to install.**

To fix the installation error, I went back into the program properties, changed the program to run "naturally" - not in XP mode, and unticked the box about operating in administrator mode. The program installed correctly after making these changes.

I hope this helps others who have installation problems.

Ron Hamlin

To fix the installation error, I went back into the program properties, changed the program to run "naturally" - not in XP mode, and unticked the box about operating in administrator mode. The program installed correctly after making these changes.

As Ron discovered, there is no need to make any changes to settings on the compatibility tab of tmg6setup.exe before running the installer.

I, too, had this problem during install which would hang at install fonts. My operating system is Windows Vista.

I found the solution. Run msconfig and disable all start up programs. Reboot. Restart the installation of TMG. It went all through it without a hitch.

After TMG was installed I re-ran msconfig and enabled all the start up programs, rebooted and have had no problems with TMG since. (Except trying to learn how to use it)

Hope this helped.