jgr

!%@*& Punctuation!

Okay. This is driving me bonkers. I cannot for the LIFE of me figure out the punctuation rules here. What I'm trying to do is create a source definition that works both for TMG and for Second Site, and I have it all figured out EXCEPT the TMG punctuation rule. An example is the Social Security Death Index. For the first reference in TMG, I'd want the long footnote:

[TITLE], online <, [CD]><. Hereinafter cited as SSDI Online>.

which prints as:

Social Security Death Index, online

as SSDI Online.

For the second and subsequent reference in TMG, I'd want it simply to read:

SSDI Online.

In Second Site, I want that SSDI Online to be a hotlink. So I'm using the Supplemental area of the Source Definition field, and I have it as:

[HID:][sS:]<a href="http://ssdi.genealogy.rootsweb.com/">[:SS][:HID]

SSDI Online[HID:][sS:]</a>[:SS][:HID]

Then I have the Output Forum for the Short Title as:

[COMMENTS]<, [CD]>

In Second Site, it's perfect. It appears as SSDI Online://http://ssdi.genealogy.rootsweb.com/...m/"]SSDI Online.

But in TMG it appears with a second period:

I have tried everything I can think of, but can't make that second !%@*& period go away and leave me alone.

So I'm begging:

Bless you...

JGR,

Don't hate me because I'm beautiful, hate me because, the reason you are getting it is you don't have anything in the CD field. Either use the CD field, OR put your comma outside the brackets.

Don't hate me because I'm beautiful, hate me because, the reason you are getting it is you don't have anything in the CD field. Either use the CD field, OR put your comma outside the brackets.

Would that it would be so simple, great beautiful guru. Fact is, even if I DELETE the CD field entirely, I still get the double period. I have tried the following:

[COMMENTS]

[COMMENTS].

[COMMENTS]<, [CD]>

[COMMENTS]<, [CD]>.

[COMMENTS]<. [CD]>

[COMMENTS]<. [CD]>.

The output in every case is:

SSDI Online..

This is a brand-new project created specifically to test this, with a brand-new database consisting of precisely two people, in the latest TMG v. 6.12, so I doubt it's a database error. In addition, if you'll note, I have the comma inside the angle brackets for the Full Footnote form, and it works exactly as I would expect it to.

I'm doomed...

JGR,

Are you sure you need to use the hidden codes to get the link in Second Site? I'm not an expert in that program, but I thought it recognized URLs and automatically made them links. You might check the Help file, or go to the Second Site list on RootsWeb, where lots of SS experts, including the author, hang out.

In a quick check, I do find the following in the list of enhancements very long ago: "URLs and e-mail addresses are now recognized in citations as well as sources"

Are you sure you need to use the hidden codes to get the link in Second Site? I'm not an expert in that program, but I thought it recognized URLs and automatically made them links. You might check the Help file, or go to the Second Site list on RootsWeb, where lots of SS experts, including the author, hang out.In a quick check, I do find the following in the list of enhancements very long ago: "URLs and e-mail addresses are now recognized in citations as well as sources"

I will ask John, but am reasonably sure I have to use the hidden codes to get this to appear the way I want it to appear, as a hotlink with the words I want and not simply as a URL. In other words, I want it to say:

and not

SSDI Online,