I just used ancestry.com for the first time and I found census data I want to cite (previously I had cited the data found at the National Archives, which included roll number, etc.). How do I cite information from ancestry.com?

Thanks.

I just used ancestry.com for the first time and I found census data I want to cite (previously I had cited the data found at the National Archives, which included roll number, etc.). How do I cite information from ancestry.com?

You cite it exactly as you would with data viewed at the National Archives (with the roll number etc.), except that you would add a line something to the effect "as viewed online at Ancestry.com" to make it clear where you viewed the record. To view the roll number, look at the results page for the individual (see attached image for an example).

post-5501-1173623769_thumb.png

You cite it exactly as you would with data viewed at the National Archives (with the roll number etc.), except that you would add a line something to the effect "as viewed online at Ancestry.com" to make it clear where you viewed the record. To view the roll number, look at the results page for the individual (see attached image for an example).

Much thanks.

Bob