patthepiper

TMG & Excel files

I have some Excel files (the largest 5,000 records) and dread the thought of typing the data into TMG.

Any suggestions please?

Pat Dunbar

Depending on exactly how your spreadsheet is laid out you could use it for a mailmerge to create gedcom entries for each record and input that to TMG. The problem is that no linkages would be recorded and all records would have to be linked once they were in TMG ( <_< ).

I have some Excel files (the largest 5,000 records) and dread the thought of typing the data into TMG.

Any suggestions please?

Pat Dunbar

Pat,

I have little faith in my ability to type exactly what I see in a report onto my data base. I therefore use a copy and paste process whenever possible.

Keep you little finger on the left Ctrl key and use your forefinger on the "C" (for "Copy") and the "V" (for "Paste"). User your right hand on the mouse to select or block the text you want to copy/paste. Have your spreadsheet in one window and TMG in another and use "Alt-Tab" to switch between the two. If possible, size the widows so you can see the desired fields in both windows to minimize scrolling. (This may not be quite so easy if you are left handed.)

This may be a tedious operation, but you should be able to get into a rhythm that will make it go a bit faster than retyping. It will also reduce typing errors, which can be a problem to find and correct.

Pierce

Pat,

I have little faith in my ability to type exactly what I see in a report onto my data base. I therefore use a copy and paste process whenever possible.

Keep you little finger on the left Ctrl key and use your forefinger on the "C" (for "Copy") and the "V" (for "Paste"). User your right hand on the mouse to select or block the text you want to copy/paste. Have your spreadsheet in one window and TMG in another and use "Alt-Tab" to switch between the two. If possible, size the widows so you can see the desired fields in both windows to minimize scrolling. (This may not be quite so easy if you are left handed.)

This may be a tedious operation, but you should be able to get into a rhythm that will make it go a bit faster than retyping. It will also reduce typing errors, which can be a problem to find and correct.

Pierce

For this, you could also use a clipboard replacement utility (ClipMate is one) that retains your pastes. So you could copy several from Excel and then paste them into TMG.

Virginia

Any suggestions please?

Pat Dunbar

I suggest that you may be able to convert a the Excel file to a GEDCOM and then import the file in to TMG.

Have a look at the following website:"http://www.tedpack.org/text2ged.html" for a possible solution.