chasco

Any shortcut to confirm OK boxes, etc.

I've owned various versions of TMG for years, but have never really used it until the past few weeks. Have always been horrified at the thought of inputting twenty or more binders of info on various families (all that typing plus all that proofreading!) plus info from heaven-knows how many photocopies I've collected through the years (am sure if I piled them up there would be at least six feet of photocopies) plus all the stuff I've entered in WordPerfect documents or AskSam databases, etc., etc.

Have also wanted to use TMG as an indexing tool for various records/books I'm interested in and always thought if I type it once, why should I have to type it twice? I'm somewhat more interested in the genealogy of certain counties rather than just my own families.

But as I'm certainly not getting any younger, I decided a few weeks ago to actually sit down and play around with it. So far have managed to input nearly one who loose-leaf binder so far. :wacko: (Have yet to proofread it thoroughly though). And I have also sort of figured out how to use the List of citations to create an index of sorts for some marriage licenses I once copied. Have played around also with the various reports available too--some I like, some are clunky.

At any rate, I have questions about various things and hope to find some answers from this forum. I assume it's best to ask one or two questions at a time, not 20 in one post? Or if not answers, perhaps it will give the TMG developers some ideas for improvement.

So ... here's my first one (or two):

I prefer key strokes to moving the mouse and on most screens it seems you cannot simply hit "enter" and close the box or form. For example, on the citation box, you have to click ok twice instead of being able to hit simply the enter key. Same is true on the basic form when first entering info about an individual--sometimes all you have is a name or at best a date, but instead of simply hitting "enter," you have to use the mouse to click ok. Is there some way to speed this up? Some kind of hot key I can set up? I wondered why the numeric-enter key could not be used for this.

When entering data about two people who are married, why can't I enter all data for both of them on one form and let TMG create two separate IDs? Is there a way to do this? That would speed things up too. (This question comes from entering a couple of hundred marriage licenses at one time).

Hope no one minds a bunch of questions the next few weeks as I toddle/stumble around TMG. There are features I definitely like; others, yuck. For example, guess I am what is termed a "lumper"(?), but seems to me there are waaaaaay too many hair splitting/angels on a pin kind of disputations about citing bibliographical information.

Thanks.

Sam

P.S. And Messers Riegel and Hoffman's websites are awesome!

Thanks for the information. And right before going to bed last night I checked the manual under hot keys and found the F9 key shortcut. Have of course been using F3 constantly, but never thought to see what the other F-keys had to offer.

Sam