thjelmstad

FTM Import Questions

I'm considering changing from FTM 8 because it doesn't export image file names to gedcom - even in the newer version - and I'm using phpgedview on my web site and want the scrapbook images.

If I purchase TMG6, will it import the image files from the scrapbook in FTM-8 or will I need to re-insert them?

We have issues wth the footnoting of sources in FTM as we started with FTM 3 and it appears that over the upgrades, FTM has "varied" the footnotes for sources from prior versions - they just don't appear correctly as a full set. Do you know of any issues with importing an FTM database that's been through several upgrades?

There is some external forum discussion about FTM's notes section also. We have extensive notes on some individuals and there is some discussion about these not transfering via gedcom because of issues with field names, etc. Essentially, some forums indicate that transferring the notes is not reliable - some go and some don't. While I know that TMG uses a different importer, I'm concerned about this as it could be very hard to "know" all the places to looks for notes that may have been missed. Do you know of any issues with this?

Thanks,

Tony

If I purchase TMG6, will it import the image files from the scrapbook in FTM-8 or will I need to re-insert them?

They should.

We have issues wth the footnoting of sources in FTM as we started with FTM 3 and it appears that over the upgrades, FTM has "varied" the footnotes for sources from prior versions - they just don't appear correctly as a full set. Do you know of any issues with importing an FTM database that's been through several upgrades?

If citations link to sources, they should be imported.

If citations are used as footnotes with no links to sources, they will not import.

There is some external forum discussion about FTM's notes section also. We have extensive notes on some individuals and there is some discussion about these not transfering via gedcom because of issues with field names, etc. Essentially, some forums indicate that transferring the notes is not reliable - some go and some don't. While I know that TMG uses a different importer, I'm concerned about this as it could be very hard to "know" all the places to looks for notes that may have been missed. Do you know of any issues with this?

What is in the FTM person note field should import.

My suggestion is simple... Download the TMG6 'trial' version (which is the actual program) and try the import.

Be sure to look at the Master Place List after import. Cleanup is required for many uses of the Comment/Location field because FTM is using the field for two different types of data and there is a limit as to how that can be imported. The Advanced Import Wizard allows you to change how this data will be imported on a Fact-by-Fact basis and some of the cleanup can be avoided by using that import feature.