joanmc

Research Log Question

This was originally in reply to 'Research Log - Wish List', however as I received no reply, I'm reposting for a response.

Ideas look good and would certainly be useful. However, even more important to me is if printing out the Research Log would include the name of the person to whom the items are attached!!!! I use my Research Log as a 'holding file' for info found online and/or that I've recorded in GedStar at various repositories then copy/paste into the Log while checking for duplication, correctness and/or need for custom tags, etc. In many instances in earlier times :rolleyes: I neglected to note when completed and remove it. To go through all the entries to check whether I've actually entered the info, I printed out a 130-page list only to find, to my horror, that it hasn't printed the names......I'm now having to go through my entire database to check who these entries belong to! Ugh, what a job, especially as once I write in the associated names, I then have to go back again to the individual's & go through the info for that person to find out if all is entered.....

When I set this to print, the options appeared to include the names but they didn't attach with the entries nor did the ID

#s.

Did I miss something?

B)

Joan

It's not at all clear what you are asking. A detailed example would help.

If a task is linked to a person, the person's name and ID# are included in a List of Tasks report by default.

It's not at all clear what you are asking. A detailed example would help.

If a task is linked to a person, the person's name and ID# are included in a List of Tasks report by default.

Well, after working my way through several pages & looking up to see who the task belonged to, I suddenly started finding some names on the printout. After comparing those with and those without names, I realized that if I indicated that the task was connected to an event, it doesn't show the person's name even though the event is 'theirs' :huh:

Fortunately, it looks like the majority are shown as 'Person' thus showing the name so I'll go through & change all to 'Person' even if the task is actually related to an event in that person's life<sigh>. This will definitely go on my wish list for the future - even though attached to an event, should still show person to whom event is connected.

B)

Joan

... if I indicated that the task was connected to an event, it doesn't show the person's name even though the event is 'theirs' :huh:

Joan

Joan,

I cannot duplicate your situation. All of my tasks are assigned only to events and my List of Tasks report outputs the Principals that are set for that event tag. What are your options for your List of Tasks report set to? As an example, I have my "Sort By" tab set to "Task Name" and the "Names" tab set to "Surname caps" and "ID Number". When I set the Subject of the report to "All Tasks" and print to screen each task gives the Task Name on the first line. It then prints the Tag Type name on the second line followed by the tag date if there is one, then the names of the Principals with their surnames capitalized and their ID number, and finally the location entered into the tag. Do you not see this? Are you looking for names of Witnesses to your event tags? These do not show on the List of Tasks.

Edited by mjh

Ok. I understand. When you create a task, it is linked by default only to the person, event, source or repository from which it was created.

So a task created from an event is linked only to the event and not to the person. You just need to make sure the task is linked to both by manually linking to the person from the Research Task screen. Two additional mouse clicks. [binocs] from the Research Task screen. [select] from the Picklist.

Ok. I understand. When you create a task, it is linked by default only to the person, event, source or repository from which it was created.

So a task created from an event is linked only to the event and not to the person. You just need to make sure the task is linked to both by manually linking to the person from the Research Task screen. Two additional mouse clicks. [binocs] from the Research Task screen. [select] from the Picklist.

But, Jim, I don't understand. I don't see the need for these extra steps in order to get the List of Tasks report to show the Principals for a task linked only to an event. Further, you can only link to one person, whereas the task can have two Principals. My tasks are only linked to events, I have never linked to a person. When I edit any of my tasks it shows Event assigned, and Person, Source, and Repository "Not assigned yet". Even in the Research Log itself, when you highlight a task the "Subject" it displays is the event ID and name followed by the Principals, and when you edit the task the Principals are listed following the Event assigned. In the Person View of a person, if I click on the Research Log icon it lists all the tasks that are assigned only to events but for which this person is a Principal for those events. I don't find a circumstance where the Principals are not listed. So I still don't understand Joan's problem.

But, Jim, I don't understand. I don't see the need for these extra steps in order to get the List of Tasks report to show the Principals for a task linked only to an event.

You're right, of course. Don't have a clue as to Joan's problem until she gives us an example.