rasonnier

Family View Problem

My understanding of the family view is that it should resemble a family group sheet. I find an example on the TMG Getting Started Guide on page 14. My family view does not look like this. It resembles a pedigree chart. Please be clear, I am not confusing Family view with Tree view. The tree view correctly looks like a pedigree chart for me....but so does the family view. On family view I see no children. I see the husband and wife and a "tree" type link to each of their parents and that is it.

I'm sure this is something I did in the past and now can't remember how to undo it.

Question: How do I get my family view screen back to the original setting?

Thanks!

RAS

......The tree view correctly looks like a pedigree chart for me....but so does the family view. On family view I see no children. I see the husband and wife and a "tree" type link to each of their parents and that is it.

The three "views" only change what you see in the "Details" window for a given layout. Person view gives you the primary parents in a subwindow with the primary name, and then the tags. Tree view will give you multiple generations, with no extra information about the ancestors. Family view will give you person, their "currently viewed spouse", and the two sets of primary parents, with BMD information for these six people, and only a count of the children. Any other windows, like Siblings, Children, Flags, etc. are dependent upon what other windows you chose to include in this layout and do not change or disappear by selecting a different "view". Under the main menu item "Window" click to turn on or off any of these other windows, arrange them as you wish, and then save this layout with an appropriate name. Now that layout can have whatever other windows you want, like Children, and the Details window can be whichever of the three views you want.

To get the 'family group sheet' appearance, you need to have the Children and Siblings windows open along with the Details window (set to Family view). You can open the Children and Siblings window from the Window menu, or revert to the Standard layout - which includes the Details, Children, and Siblings windows (View > Layouts > Standard).

For examples of the flexibility of layouts, see the thread at:

http://www.whollygenes.com/forums201/index...4&hl=layout

Virginia

.... Family view will give you person, their "currently viewed spouse", and the two sets of primary parents, with BMD information for these six people, and only a count of the children....

yes, what you describe is exactly what I see. I'm going to try to attach a scan of the view described in the Getting Started Manual so you can see what I'm talking about. I've never attached a file to a post before so please forgive me if this doesn't work right. I'd like you to be able to see what I was trying to describe.

RAS

Family_View.pdf

That view is from an earlier version of tmg (v4?) and does not apply to v6 - which has the children and siblings in separate windows. Is there a date or version information on the Getting Started Manual you have?

You can find current tutorials on Terry Reigel's page at:

http://tmg.reigelridge.com/

Virginia

That view is from an earlier version of tmg (v4?) and does not apply to v6 - which has the children and siblings in separate windows. Is there a date or version information on the Getting Started Manual you have?

You can find current tutorials on Terry Reigel's page at:

http://tmg.reigelridge.com/

Virginia

oh wow! you are exactly right...title page says version 4.x. Well, that clears up that question but I did kinda like that view. Thanks so much for the quick answers.

As Virginia pointed out, Version 6 has added considerable flexibility to the TMG views by providing a way to customize multiple versions of layouts. Earlier she mentioned Terry's Tips, and I would recommend http://tmg.reigelridge.com/layouts.htm as it describes the Version 6 layouts. While Version 6 now allows other subwindows (e.g. flags, Focus Group, etc.) to also share screen space with your FGS type Family View, if you want to almost duplicate the old Version 4 view, you can. Select the Family View for the Details subwindow, close any other subwindows, and from the "Window" menu item be sure that the Children subwindow is also selected along with Details. Now move and/or resize the Details to cover the top half of the TMG window, and the Children to cover the bottom half, resizing the columns in the Children subwindow to your preferences. Then save this custom layout with a name of your choice as described in Terry's Tips. Whenever you want this view, you can now select your custom layout from the "View >> Layouts" menu.

Hope this gives you ideas,

As Virginia pointed out, Version 6 has added considerable flexibility to the TMG views by providing a way to customize multiple versions of layouts. Earlier she mentioned Terry's Tips, and I would recommend http://tmg.reigelridge.com/layouts.htm as it describes the Version 6 layouts. While Version 6 now allows other subwindows (e.g. flags, Focus Group, etc.) to also share screen space with your FGS type Family View, if you want to almost duplicate the old Version 4 view, you can. Select the Family View for the Details subwindow, close any other subwindows, and from the "Window" menu item be sure that the Children subwindow is also selected along with Details. Now move and/or resize the Details to cover the top half of the TMG window, and the Children to cover the bottom half, resizing the columns in the Children subwindow to your preferences. Then save this custom layout with a name of your choice as described in Terry's Tips. Whenever you want this view, you can now select your custom layout from the "View >> Layouts" menu.

Hope this gives you ideas,

Looking at Terry's Tips gave me lots of ideas. I'll go through your suggestion and give that a try too. I haven't been very "bold" when it comes to changing my view choices. I've used the program for several years but basically have done straight data entry from the detail screen. I am just now starting to explore some of the options available to me. I end up more and more impressed with the software as I explore. As you can tell from this thread, I've gotten out the books and done some reading to get more familiar with the choices. Unfortunately, it seems I have an older book. I'll try to stick with Terry's tips to focus on Version 6 options.