Guest ProudFossil

Question about Surety Threshold

Guest ProudFossil

If I have an event with the 1st person surety as 1 and the date surety as 0, will that 0 stop the event from printing if the surety threshold is set at 1?

Thank you.

You are actually allowed to test these things yourself. :lol:

Apparently not. I believe the highest surety is the one used so that event would be seen as a '1'. And I tested it to confirm.

As Jim suggested, many of us have a separate Project that we have created where we run tests. From previous tests that I have run, a Max Surety is computed for each category [12DPM] based on the highest surety value in any source citation for that category that has been entered for a particular tag, whether the citation has been excluded or not. If the tag prints, the printing of a citation is then based only on whether it is an excluded citation, not on its surety. If the surety threshold has been set, and the Max Surety for all categories is less than the threshold, the entire tag and its citations will not be printed. However, if some category meets the threshold but other categories do not, then the event will print but those categories that do not meet the threshold will not print. For example if the Max Surety for Principal1 meets the threshold but Date and Place do not, the tag will print with the Principal1’s name, but the sentence will operate as if the Date and Place were blank, i.e. if they are non-optional sentence variables they will produce the “unknown” text. So in your case, if you have the Surety threshold set to one, the tag will print and the Principal1's name will print, but the Date will operate as if blank.

Hope this helps,

Edited by mjh

However, if some category meets the threshold but other categories do not, then the event will print but those categories that do not meet the threshold will not print. For example if the Max Surety for Principal1 meets the threshold but Date and Place do not, the tag will print with the Principal1’s name, but the sentence will operate as if the Date and Place were blank, i.e. if they are non-optional sentence variables they will produce the “unknown” text. So in your case, if you have the Surety threshold set to one, the tag will print and the Principal1's name will print, but the Date will operate as if blank.

Thanks, Michael.

I can't see that this is documented anywhere in help or in GTMOOTMG unless I'm missing it. There is one sentence about the surety setting possibly causing the appearance of an "unknown" value but the reason behind that is not explained.

Jim

Thanks, Michael.

I can't see that this is documented anywhere in help or in GTMOOTMG unless I'm missing it. There is one sentence about the surety setting possibly causing the appearance of an "unknown" value but the reason behind that is not explained.

Jim

You are most welcome, Jim. To be able to document something that such a knowledgeable user as yourself didn't know makes me quite pleased with myself :D