RadioHead

Editing the Master Place List

Hello Folks:

I'm just getting used to TMG 6.12 Gold Edition, and am doing a lot of work cleaning up my sources and places.

In the Master Place List I can choose among "Replace" (which is rather tedious), "Edit" (which is slightly faster), and I can also use the keyboard to move places from side to side among the columns, which seems to be faster than the other two options.

Is there any difference to the way the program uses the resulting places? Are all the same links updated in the same way, or do the options actually do something different from each other?

Also, in the Master Source List I have many redundant sources; some of the sources are repeated several hundred times. At the moment I am resigned to doing manual merges one at a time, but I still have over 109,000 sources in the list. Is there no way to quickly eliminate identical redunant sources?

Any help would be appreciated.

I imported my data via GEDCOM file from "Brother's Keeper" V5.2G (DOS version); BKeeper does not use "citations" as does TMG, and the latter imported every single source separately. If you see what I mean... :blink:

"RadioHead"

Saint John, NB

Canada

The normal path to Master Place List cleanup is...

1) Realign in the MPL (with CTRL+left arrow or CTRL+right arrow) to get all data into the correct columns. Note that this can push several columns of data left or right in one step.

2) When you finish a work session, [Close] the Master Place List and run File / Maintenance / Optimize.

This will consolidate identical places automatically.

I'm assuming it will take at least several work sessions to get this done. Continue your cleanup with editing or replace (doesn't matter which) to standardize place part names. This will result in more identical places. Run optimize as needed to consolidate these.

Eventually, your Master Place List will be all clean and shiny. :)

1) Realign in the MPL (with CTRL+left arrow or CTRL+right arrow) to get all data into the correct columns. Note that this can push several columns of data left or right in one step.

2) When you finish a work session, [Close] the Master Place List and run File / Maintenance / Optimize.

This will consolidate identical places automatically.

I'm assuming it will take at least several work sessions to get this done. Continue your cleanup with editing or replace (doesn't matter which) to standardize place part names. This will result in more identical places. Run optimize as needed to consolidate these.

Hooray! :clap:

Many thanks! This will speed up the clean-up exponentially... well... more, anyway.

"RadioHead"

Hi,

Regarding sources...

There is a checkbox you can select at Step 5 of the GEDCOM import (select advanced wizard) that will combine identical sources. I have used it on BK5 Gedcom before and it worked well.

Regards,

Martin Roy

Ottawa, ON

Hello Folks:

I'm just getting used to TMG 6.12 Gold Edition, and am doing a lot of work cleaning up my sources and places.

In the Master Place List I can choose among "Replace" (which is rather tedious), "Edit" (which is slightly faster), and I can also use the keyboard to move places from side to side among the columns, which seems to be faster than the other two options.

Is there any difference to the way the program uses the resulting places? Are all the same links updated in the same way, or do the options actually do something different from each other?

Also, in the Master Source List I have many redundant sources; some of the sources are repeated several hundred times. At the moment I am resigned to doing manual merges one at a time, but I still have over 109,000 sources in the list. Is there no way to quickly eliminate identical redunant sources?

Any help would be appreciated.

I imported my data via GEDCOM file from "Brother's Keeper" V5.2G (DOS version); BKeeper does not use "citations" as does TMG, and the latter imported every single source separately. If you see what I mean... :blink:

"RadioHead"

Saint John, NB

Canada

RadioHead,

I feel your pain. I imported from Family Tree Maker, which has only one place to list the entire location as well as comments. I've been working on the MPL for months now. The easy stuff I finished long ago, but every Ancestral File Number I ever recorded in FTM is now a country on my MPL. Every occupation I ever listed is, too. <_<

But I'll get there. You will, too. This program is certainly worth it, I think.