Dennis S

Increase Display and Fonts

I just purchased a new laptop with Vista and a 17" screen. I was able to bring over TMG V.6 following Jim's directions and moved my files accordingly.

The thing I'd like to do now is be able to read the screen. The window are small compare to the view option and the font in the Person view is really

small for these old eyes.

Is there somewhere to increse this font and viewing size? I found a section to change font size for Family and Tree view (I think) but they don't

effect the Person view.

Thanks,

Dennis

I just purchased a new laptop with Vista and a 17" screen. I was able to bring over TMG V.6 following Jim's directions and moved my files accordingly.

The thing I'd like to do now is be able to read the screen. The window are small compare to the view option and the font in the Person view is really

small for these old eyes.

Is there somewhere to increse this font and viewing size? I found a section to change font size for Family and Tree view (I think) but they don't

effect the Person view.

Thanks,

Dennis

Preferences>Program Options>Lists...adjust Minimum and Maximum font sizes...

You can also resize the windows and create new layouts. You can make whatever visual adjustments in TMG that are necessary to make the program comfortable for you to use. Almost everything can be customized.

You can also resize the windows and create new layouts. You can make whatever visual adjustments in TMG that are necessary to make the program comfortable for you to use. Almost everything can be customized.

I don't suppose that this yet means that the picklist font's can be increased to something my spectacles can decipher?

John

I don't suppose that this yet means that the picklist font's can be increased to something my spectacles can decipher?

Paul answered that above.

You might also want to check what the resolution of your new montior is set at. It seems to me the higher the resolution, the smaller the fonts. Sometimes, bigger and better is really smaller and worse. <G>

You might also want to check what the resolution of your new montior is set at. It seems to me the higher the resolution, the smaller the fonts. Sometimes, bigger and better is really smaller and worse.

That's a common misperception that should not be propagated. You should run your display at the highest resolution available. The more pixels on the screen, the better formed the characters will be and the easier the characters will be to read. If the characters are too small for you, use the system display properties to increase the size of the characters. No one is locked into using the default character size.

Both the operating system and TMG have many options to make the display work for you. It's up to you to take advantage of them.

Ideally you'd run the display at its highest resolution - but I don't think you'll notice much difference in detail at a lower resolution if that is what you are accustomed to. A lower resolution will make items appear larger and may be more convenient for you than changing font and icon sizes locally or globally. Maybe try a resolution slightly larger than you had before to see how you adjust to that.

A higher resolution does allow more windows in the tmg layout - or a bigger custom toolbar :).

Virginia

Paul answered that above.

Using that option and setting the font to say 16pt increases the screen output but the pick list stays about the same and looks like about 10pt. I raised this yonks ago and was hoping that by now something had been done about it. Hence my question.

Using that option and setting the font to say 16pt increases the screen output but the pick list stays about the same and looks like about 10pt. I raised this yonks ago and was hoping that by now something had been done about it. Hence my question.

Increase the size of the Picklist screen. Also, increase the minimum font size setting.

Increase the size of the Picklist screen. Also, increase the minimum font size setting.

If I increase the font size min = 14 and max = 16 it makes no difference to my pick list but changes the person entry to bold 16 !

Another trick that often (but not always) helps you read small text is to hold the Ctrl key while rotating the scroll wheel on your mouse (if you have a scroll wheel). This allows you to increase or decrease the displayed size of the text. Note that you have to have the mouse pointer in the selected window for this to work. If you are creating a word processing document, only the display size is changed, not the font size of any of the text within the window (i.e. it won't affect the size of the text when the document is printed).

Pierce