PollyH

Descendant Box Chart Problem

I am having trouble with the spacing for a descendant box chart for one woman in my database. Please see screenshot. This should be a top down chart for a woman who had three children, three men,vcf_screenshot.doc no marriages. The woman's name appears at the left margin instead of at the top of the chart and there is all that white space in the middle. I have created that same chart, with exactly the same options, for other people in my database and the chart appears normally--without white space and with the focus person at the top of the chart. Does anyone have any suggestions as to why this one appears as it does?

I'm afraid I don't know what caused it. And, I think our most expert chart user, Robin, is traveling and may not have an opportuinity to reply.

But you can fix the chart by editing it. First, move the part that's off to the right into it's proper position. To do that, select that entire section - click outside one corner of that area and drag the dotted-line box until it encloses everything in that section. Then, click and drag to the left any part of the selected section. After you have started to drag the section, press and hold the Shift key to force the section to stay at exactly the same level so the lines still are straight.

It's hard to see on the small shot, but if other parts are mis-placed you can similarly drag them into position.

After you have gotten it where you want it, remove the empty area by using the Tools > Diagram >Resize to Components command.

I'm afraid I don't know what caused it. And, I think our most expert chart user, Robin, is traveling and may not have an opportuinity to reply.

But you can fix the chart by editing it. First, move the part that's off to the right into it's proper position. To do that, select that entire section - click outside one corner of that area and drag the dotted-line box until it encloses everything in that section. Then, click and drag to the left any part of the selected section. After you have started to drag the section, press and hold the Shift key to force the section to stay at exactly the same level so the lines still are straight.

It's hard to see on the small shot, but if other parts are mis-placed you can similarly drag them into position.

After you have gotten it where you want it, remove the empty area by using the Tools > Diagram >Resize to Components command.

Thanks Terry. I realize that I can move those objects and have been practicing doing just that, but I was hoping to figure out why only this person's chart renders like this. I'll play with it . . . thanks again.

Thanks Terry. I realize that I can move those objects and have been practicing doing just that, but I was hoping to figure out why only this person's chart renders like this. I'll play with it . . . thanks again.

There was an earlier message on 'spread-out' charts. Maybe one of Robin's suggestions in that thread will help with your problem. See:

http://www.whollygenes.com/forums201/index...ost&p=15910

Virginia