MNCamper

list of events question

I am planning a trip to a cemetery.

I want a list of people known to be buried in that cemetery.

I used the 'List of Events' to create a report.

No problem, so far.

Among the Output Columns I chose 'Prin1 Surname'

This prints the birth surname.

Married women usually have their MARRIED surname on their grave markers.

I have entered a 'Name-Marr' tag for these women with their married surname.

When I entered the burial tag for these women, I selected the married surname in the field opposite the principal-1 field.

I tried adding the Column 'Prin1 OtherName', but no joy.

So, I am looking for help in creating a listing with the married surname for married women.

Thank you.

So, I am looking for help in creating a listing with the married surname for married women.
You could try:

Column 1: Prin1 Given Last

Column 2: Prin2 Surname

That'd give you FirstName MaidenName MarriedName, no?

Edited by jgr

You might try using the List of People report instead. It allows you to output the Spouse Surname to a column.

Cheers, Neil

I am planning a trip to a cemetery.

I want a list of people known to be buried in that cemetery.

I used the 'List of Events' to create a report.

No problem, so far.

Among the Output Columns I chose 'Prin1 Surname'

This prints the birth surname.

Married women usually have their MARRIED surname on their grave markers.

I have entered a 'Name-Marr' tag for these women with their married surname.

When I entered the burial tag for these women, I selected the married surname in the field opposite the principal-1 field.

I tried adding the Column 'Prin1 OtherName', but no joy.

The "Prin1 OtherName" refers to the "Other Name" field of the primary name tag, which is not used in the default name style, and left empty by most users.

Neither the List of Events nor the List of People reports will give the married name of the women. I'd suggest you use a customized configuration of the Individual narrative, as follows:

1. Use a filtered group, with a filter like:

Any Event... Place Detail Contains Anytown Cemetery

2. Then, under report Options, on the Tags tab, in the Tag Types box, choose Selected. Then select only the Married name tag and the burial tag, if you want that.

This won't be quite as neat as you like, but it will give you the details you want.

If you want to pretty it up, you could create a special Language, and add special sentences in that language to the two tag types to give a nicer output. This is pretty easy to do - ask if you want to try it need help.

Thank you to all who responded to my question.

I looked at the List of People report and came up with a report that will work.

The key is the Output Column named Spouse's Name Group* tag; Surname.

It is not ideal but since this is a working document, it is OK.

An example of the report is attached (somewhere).

Terry's suggestion sounds like more effort than I am willing to

expend when there is an easier solution.

I do believe that since TMG is good enough to provide a way to enter

the name that a person was using at the time of an event, that there

ought to be a way to access that information in reports.

It seems to me that there would be a broad general use for wanting

to print the name used at the time of a given event. In that spirit,

I hereby submit the above to the keeper(s) of the Wish List.

sample.PDF

It seems to me that there would be a broad general use for wanting to print the name used at the time of a given event. In that spirit, I hereby submit the above to the keeper(s) of the Wish List.

Your wish has been granted. Now in Version 7 TMG can do this. The trick in the List of Events report is using the new Output Column options for names that have the term "(Selected)". As you probably know, for any TMG event tag you can "select" which of the many name variations you have defined for that person that is the name to be used for this event. The "(Selected)" options refer to that name, not the Primary name of that person. So if you created a Name-Marr name variation and "selected" that name variation to be used for her burial tag, I think this will give what you want.

Hope this gives you ideas, and a reason to upgrade to Version 7,

Edited by Michael Hannah

I had the same problem, and this is not a bad solution. I had to go through and change all the selections for the burial events, but now can sort the output by graveyard, then by section, and alphabetically by name at death within the section. Pretty sweet.

However, if I understand it correctly, this will have the side-effect that my report output now has women referred to by their maiden name all through their lives until their burial, when they suddenly are referred to by their married name. True, I could change all their events since marriage, but that would take a while, and I'm not sure I even want that.

A bigger issue is that I just did this to the women buried in Missouri, who are a relatively small part of my total tree. If I were to change all 2500 women's names for all post-marriage events, that would be an even larger task. So I guess I will either live with the discrepancy, or even change back to the default name for these women.

It probably would be possible to write a little program to do this, using John Cardinal's utilities. That would probably be the way to go if I wanted to always use the married name for all events. Then I could change the name for all events as I entered them from then on, although that could also get a little tedious, and it would be easy to forget.

This does do the trick, but it seems there should be some easier way.