mequint

report names by birth month

I'm trying to create lists of X surname who are born in June month. I've identified the surname, sortdate >31 May, sortdate <01 Jul. I get zero for results. Since there are at least a dozen I'm sure of, I know there should be some. There is no option of birth month, so I chose sortdate. I've tried doing this in list of names and list of persons with no better results. Can someone tell me what I'm doing wrong? Thank you.

You don't say which report you are using, is it the List of Events or List of People? It would also help to give the actual filter you have contructed so we could better understand what went wrong.

I don't think you can use day and month only for "Date" or "Sortdate" is before or after terms. But you can do this with a List of Events report, since it lets you specify specific days, months, or years. The following filter seems to work for me:

Principal1...	 Surname	  = Equals	  REIGEL   ANDTag Type...		 Label	   = Equals	   BIRTH   ANDDate - Month				= Equals		JUNE	  END

You don't say which report you are using, is it the List of Events or List of People? It would also help to give the actual filter you have contructed so we could better understand what went wrong.

I don't think you can use day and month only for "Date" or "Sortdate" is before or after terms. But you can do this with a List of Events report, since it lets you specify specific days, months, or years. The following filter seems to work for me:

Principal1...	 Surname	  = Equals	  REIGEL   ANDTag Type...		 Label	   = Equals	   BIRTH   ANDDate - Month				= Equals		JUNE	  END

I'm using List of Names

filtered group

Surname = Quint AND

Sort Date >31 May AND

Sort Date <01 Jul END.

I've tried List of Events. I don't find a "label" as you've written or anything close, like Event. I tried Date Surety = Birth, but it didn't find any people. I tried Tag Type Group, birth & that WORKED.

Now how do I add Living = yes to the mix? When I added

AND

Tag Type Label = LIVING END

I got zilch! Should be at least 5.

I'm using List of Names

filtered group

Surname = Quint AND

Sort Date >31 May AND

Sort Date

That's because the List of Names report is just that - looking only at Name tags. Generally name tags don't have either Dates or Sort Dates, which is why you got no results.

I've tried List of Events. I don't find a "label" as you've written or anything close, like Event. I tried Date Surety = Birth, but it didn't find any people. I tried Tag Type Group, birth & that WORKED.

To specify a specific type of tag, you need to first select "Tag Type..." in the "Field" column, then in the "Subfield" column choose Label or some other aspect of the tag type.

Specifying Tag Type Group is fine too - but that will pick up standard Baptism tags too, since they are in the Birth Group.

Now how do I add Living = yes to the mix? When I added

AND

Tag Type Label = LIVING END

OK - looks like you found how to specify a tag type label. :)

Trouble is, LIVING is not a tag, it's a flag. Flags apply to a person, not to a tag, so in the List of Events (that is, tags) you need to tell it which person's flag to look at. You do that this way:

Principal1...	LIVING	 <> does not equal	N

I suggest "does not equal" because living people may be marked either "Y" or "?" - if you know for sure how they are entered in your data, you can use "equal."

As Terry said...

List of Events

Tag Type... Label = BIRTH AND

Date-Month = JUNE AND

Principal1... Surname = (something) AND

Principal1... LIVING = Y END

In normal usage, LIVING is a flag, not a tag.

All of the above filter lines are characteristics of events and the output can identify the Principal1 which is what you are after. (birth events occurring in June linked to living people having a surname of (something))

As Terry said...

List of Events

Date-Month = JUNE AND

Principal1... Surname = (something) AND

Principal1... LIVING = Y END

In normal usage, LIVING is a flag, not a tag.

All of the above filter lines are characteristics of events and the output can identify the Principal1 which is what you are after. (birth events occurring in June linked to living people having a surname of (something))

YES - Thank you - it worked! I've been trying different combinations for months without success!

The filter mentioned will only look for Birth tags. In case you have some people who only have Baptism tags in the Birth group and do not have Birth tags, it would be more complete if you changed the filter line:

to:

Tag Type Group is BIRTH AND

Since TMG puts the standard Baptism tag in the Birth group, and uses that date for birth in the absence of a Birth tag, you might have some people with only that data. Otherwise, with the previous filter you might miss these people.

You might also check out John Cardinal's "On this day" utility that prints events associated with a given date.

www.johncardinal.com/otd/

There might be ways to use his utility to produce reports that may interest you.

I've been trying different combinations for months without success!

Don't wait that long next time - avoid frustration and ask for help sooner. :)

Most likely someone reading this forum can help.