asilan

Over-zealous anti-spyware program?

Help! Just as I thought everything was sorted. . .

I use Spyware Detector 2 and it has come up with a list of 22 spyware threats. When I quarantine the lot, guess what? TMG won't do a backup. Same message as yesterday. Then I try to close again but get the message "Cannot quit VisualFox Pro"! The only way to close is to use File, Exit, and say no to a backup.

I have attached the log of the quarantined items in the hope that someone can identify the part(s) that belong to TMG. I have also sent the log to the Spyware Detector people.

TIA, asilan

Log.htm

Edited by asilan

This is an update on the problem I encoutered with Spyware Detector 2 (I said it was version 5 before, but it is definitely 2).

The SD people told me that they have solved the problem of false positives - however that is not my experience so in case this may help someone else, here is the essential info:

SD continues to falsely identify the file ...\system32\dzactx.dll as a "critical threat". (I have XP Home SP2) This file is in fact a DynaZip ActiveX file from Inner Media Inc that is perfectly valid. If you quarantine the file it disables the backup process.

Whilst everyone should make up their own mind about whether a file on their system is safe or not, just be aware that Spyware Detector may be still falsely identifying perfectly harmless and valid files as "spyware".