Zapnyou

Czech accented characters

I tried to paste a Czech accented character (Unicode 010D) into Master Genealogist and it didn't work. It is a small "c" with a little "u" above it. It is not located in the extended characters (256), nor is the character "e" with a little "u" above it. Does Master Genealogist support Unicode characters?

Thanks.

The version of Visual FoxPro used by TMG v6.12 does not support Unicode.

You may find some helpful suggestions for accenting your Czech characters in an earlier thread:

http://www.whollygenes.com/forums201/index...28147entry28147

Text Macros referred to in that thread are found on the TMG Tools Menu.

Virginia

You may find some helpful suggestions for accenting your Czech characters in an earlier thread:

Virginia

Thanks Virginia! I will check it out. There are tons of Czechs that immigrated to Texas and in Illinois! It would be nice to spell their name correctly like they wrote it and as it appeared in the Czech American newspapers and on their tombstones. Hopefully, TMG will one day support the Unicodes.

Kim

Virginia

Virginia, just tried the Character Map. It didn't work. When I pasted the character, it gave me a "?" instead of the character. I also tried Ctrl-C to copy and then Ctrl-V to paste, it did the same thing. I used the MS Arial Unicode font set. The "c" with the "u" or caron as I learned what it is called, can only be found in this font set. It is not found in the rest. Any other suggestions are welcome.

I can't get it to work either, Kim. I can successfully paste the c/caron into a Memo (not in an Add Person field) but when I close the memo and reopen it the question mark appears in its place. This is how I was able to get the character though:

Character Map:

Tahoma

Advanced View

Character set: Windows: Central Europe

I don't know whether it affected my results, but I also put a check mark in the box for 'ISO 8859-2 Central Europe' in:

Control Panel > Regional and Language Options > Advanced > Code page conversion tables.

Perhaps someone more knowledgeable in this area will have a suggestion.

Virginia

I can't get it to work either, Kim. I can successfully paste the c/caron into a Memo (not in an Add Person field) but when I close the memo and reopen it the question mark appears in its place. This is how I was able to get the character though:

Character Map:

Tahoma

Advanced View

Character set: Windows: Central Europe

I don't know whether it affected my results, but I also put a check mark in the box for 'ISO 8859-2 Central Europe' in:

Control Panel > Regional and Language Options > Advanced > Code page conversion tables.

Perhaps someone more knowledgeable in this area will have a suggestion.

Virginia

Virginia,

I will try your work-around and see if that works. I've become a stickler about getting these things exactly right when it comes to how someone or someone else writes a name. It especially helps to show how a surname came to be spelled or pronouced differently from the original, eh?

Kim

It has been noted before in many postings that TMG presently does not support unicode. In my opinion, this is a serious shortcoming in an otherwise excellent program. Are there any plans to include unicode support in the foreseeable future?

Mosh

It has been noted before in many postings that TMG presently does not support unicode. In my opinion, this is a serious shortcoming in an otherwise excellent program. Are there any plans to include unicode support in the foreseeable future?

Mosh

Mosh,

I found out from Tech Support it is actually Microsoft's Visual Foxpro (American edition - which TMG is based on) which does not support unicode characters. I was going to call Microsoft Tech Support to see if they know if the new 2007 version of Visual Foxpro (American edition) will support it. I hope so. Doesn't Microsoft realize that we are in a global economy?

Kim