efcharvet

Abbreviations - France

One of my personal, long-time pet peeves about TMG is that I have not been able to set-up TMG Abbreviations for France because the Abbreviation filed does not accept numbers!

All of the departments in metropolitan France have two character numeric "abbreviation" codes. (The department of Corse and former department of Algeria have two character alpha-numeric codes, and the four overseas departments have three character numeric codes.) Note: These are not postal codes or INSEE codes.

(A list of the department codes for France appears on English Wikipedia: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Departments_of_France )

Everyone in France knows these codes as well as Americans know their state abbreviations. All of the major French genealogical websites use them to sort data, including, of course, GeneaNet.

I can't imagine that tweaking the TMG program so that Abbreviations field would accept alpha-numeric characters instead of alpha only would be a big deal.

Please add this to the Wish List!

Regards, Earl

Hi,

Has this been fixed?

In State/Province abbreviations, I was trying to add "Nouveau-Brunswick" as "NB" but to my surprise the "-" could not be entered (or even a space). It would be very nice to have this corrected...

Thanks,

Martin Roy

Sigh! Numeric entry as Earl requested will be possible in v7 to allow entry of French department codes. No, you can't enter '-' as you found and I believe this is by design.

These codes are used for web lookup using the place info and place maps options. It appears that the correct code for "Nouveau-Brunswick" is NB and not N-B. It could be that preventing characters such as '-' is to prevent users from making entries that would not work.

Hi Jim,

I agree, the abbreviation is NB but in French, the full lenght place name does have "-" and this is how it is entered in TMG for each event. The same for these other provinces: British Columbia (Colombie-Britannique) CB, Nova Scotia (Nouvelle-Écosse) NE, Prince Edward Island (Île-du-Prince-Édouard) IPE, Newfoundland (Terre-Neuve) TN.

Regards,

Martin Roy