DeeWee

Exclude witnesses / Second Site

Hi,

I would like to ask a question about Second Site without having to subscride to the SS forum (actually, I did a while ago, but unsubscribed as I got overwhelmed with emails that were of no interest to me being a SS beginner).

I read somewhere that it is impossible to exclude witnesses linked to an event when creating a web page in grid style and non-narrative. Why is this? I prefer not to have them on my website and, to be honest, I have also never seen a web page (generated in whatever way) including witnesses for events. Is there a solution for this?

Best regards,

Dirk

It is not possible to suppress witnesses in the specific conditions you describe. If you set the Detail Format to "Use Sentence", the sentence for the event will control whether or not witnesses are shown. If you do not want a full narrative site, you can use the TMG/SS language feature to define another set of sentences that will only include the information you want to include. Terry Reigal describes the basics in an article on his site.

With regards to your comment about other websites, most other sites are generated via GEDCOM files, and standard GEDCOM does not have the ability include witnesses. Thus, most web sites can't include witnesses whether the publishers want to or not.

It is not possible to suppress witnesses in the specific conditions you describe. If you set the Detail Format to "Use Sentence", the sentence for the event will control whether or not witnesses are shown. If you do not want a full narrative site, you can use the TMG/SS language feature to define another set of sentences that will only include the information you want to include. Terry Reigal describes the basics in an article on his site.

With regards to your comment about other websites, most other sites are generated via GEDCOM files, and standard GEDCOM does not have the ability include witnesses. Thus, most web sites can't include witnesses whether the publishers want to or not.

John,

It works!! Thanks a lot!

Dirk

John,

It works!! Thanks a lot!

Dirk

Just wishful thinking :(

I created a new language Ss1. The tags I want to display only have a sentence for the Principle Role (no witness sentences for those tags in Ss1), but the witnesses keep appearing on the website. What am I doing wrong?

Dirk

Where do the Witnesses appear?

Terry,

I have lines on the generated site, which look like:

Marrige* .................22 october 1920...............Mary Smith; Brussels

.........................................................................witness

: John Smith

.........................................................................witness

: Laura Johnson

Initially I thought the problem was solved, as I did no longer see witnesses appear on the generated site. The reason, however, was that I had no sentence for the principal either in the new language SS1. The result of this was that I also all places had disappeared (only names and dates). Currently, I have a sentence for the principal in Ss1, but not for the witnesses. Nevertheless, they keep on appearing.

The reason why I want to get rid of the witnesses is beause I only have roles for witnesses if they are really part of the family in a broad sense. If a person only appears once somewhere as a witness , I don't include him in my database, but only mention him being a witness in the memo. As a result, for some events I have 2 witnesses listed on the website, for others only one and sometimes none.

Dirk

You have to change a setting in the program. In the "Style" section (choose Style from the list on the left), change "Detail Format" from "Raw Data" to "Use Sentence".

You have to change a setting in the program. In the "Style" section (choose Style from the list on the left), change "Detail Format" from "Raw Data" to "Use Sentence".

John,

It actually works and I have it now just the way I want. Thanks a lot.

I have 1 final question: Why is there sometimes a "+" sing in front of (living) for living people? It is there for some people and not for others?

Many thanks and best regards,

Dirk

When a child has children, a "+" will appear in the family section after a child's name and before the child's lifespan.

If the child is living and "Suppress Details for Living People" is set (which is the default), then "(living)" is shown in place of the child's lifespan.