positivek9

Include custom tags in Ancestor Box Chart?

It seems this should be something fairly easy to do but I am stumped.

I have custom tags set up as "other events" like this:

Reg No:

memo field has data (ex. A123456)

Color:

data in Details field (ex. Black & Tan)

But I get so confused when I go to the chart option Data Types screen!

What do I know what to select to include this data?

Thanks in advance!!

Julie

First, remember that in box charts only the primary tag of each type (in the Other Events Group) can be included. That's not an issue as long as you have only one of each type.

You specify which data is included on the Data Types tab of Options. Note that there are several kinds of boxes listed in the "Box Type" box - like Female ancestors, Focus person, Male Ancestors, etc. You need to specify the new tag types for each kind of box in which you want it to appear.

Select one of the Box types, and then on the right is a box labeled "Box Contents." That's where you specify what goes on each line of the box - up to 9 lines. Click the number button for the line where you want the new tag type to appear.

The Selected tag types screen appears. Scroll down the list until you find your custom Tag Type. For each tag type there is a listing for each field in the tag. Actually, there are three groups of listing for each tag type. The first group includes "Abbr" - it places the Abbreviation from the Tag Type definition in front of the data. The next group includes "Label" - it places the Label from the Tag Type definition in front of the data. The final group has nothing but the field name - it just places the data itself with no labeling.

Choose the item you want on that line, and click Select to close the screen.

Repeat this with the second tag type, then for each of the other Box types where you want this data to appear.

Hi Terry,

Ok, I have the Reg No & Color printing just fine on the box chart.

They could have made this a little easier! :lol:

One last thing... on the duplicate person, I'm a little confused. Do I set it up the same?

Thanks in advance!!

Julie

One last thing... on the duplicate person, I'm a little confused. Do I set it up the same?

That depends. What do you want to appear for a person who appears for the second time? Does your data even have ancestors who appear in two separate lines? If not, it doesn't matter.

They could have made this a little easier! :lol:

I am not Terry :rolleyes:

I have previously suggested that the Data Types tab of the Chart Options could be made much more friendly ...

When selecting a data line:

(1) That the list of data lines be created as two lists - the first one is just the list of tag labels in the project (or the special items like "insert a blank line"). When you select one from this list, then the second list is populated)

(2) The second list is the short list of what can be output for this tag label selected in the first list.

When filling a box type with Data Lines:

(i) That an extra pair of buttons [Copy] and [Paste] be on the screen below the list of Box types, so that when you select one Box Type and Click [Copy] and the selected set of Data Lines are held on a clipboard, Then select another Box Type and click [Paste] then the desfinition that was copied becomes the basis for the current Box Type (then you may need to adjust it slightly).

(ii) That an extra pair of buttons (Move Up) and (Move Down) be on the Selected Tag Types screen, so that it is easier to change the order of data lines in the definition. Select a data line and then you can move it up or down.

So how should set up the Duplicate person Box type - it is usual to make its contents the same as the ancestor or descendant box contents with an extra entry "(reference to duplicate person)". NOTE that when cousins marry it is their children that are considered duplicates not the reference to the same person on a the chart (but now as a spouse in one box and as the ancestor or descendant in the other box).

I am not Terry :rolleyes:

Hi "I'm not Terry"! :P

Thanks for the info! I actually end up quite a few duplicates since this is a dog database. LOL!

LOTS of line breeding in the way early years.

I think I have everything set up the way I want, and flags are working! Woo hoo!!

Reports are including all the correct data, too!!

I do have another question but I'll post a new topic...

Thanks all!

Julie