gpink

Jounal Report - including spouse's children

In a Journal Report, how do you go about including information about children by a spouse's previous marriage?

I have a case where a boy is listed as a grandson in a census listing and he is the Wife's grandson by a previous marriage (actually relationship because her children are listed as illegitimate in earlier census listings).

In a Journal Report on the Head's side, the grandson does not appear. What options do I have? The mother of the grandson does not appear to have been adopted by the Head so I would prefer not to use an adoption tag.

Thanks,

Geoff

A child of a spouse by another marriage is not a descendant of the focus person (if you are running a descendant Journal) nor a descendant of an ancestor (if you are running an ancestor Journal) so does not appear in the report.

The ability to include such children has been requested by users from time to time, but so far that capability has not been included as an enhancement.

The only way to include them is to run the report to a word processor file, and then either 1) manually add the step-children, or 2) run another Journal that does include them, and copy the children's section of that into your first report.

A child of a spouse by another marriage is not a descendant of the focus person (if you are running a descendant Journal) nor a descendant of an ancestor (if you are running an ancestor Journal) so does not appear in the report.

The ability to include such children has been requested by users from time to time, but so far that capability has not been included as an enhancement.

The only way to include them is to run the report to a word processor file, and then either 1) manually add the step-children, or 2) run another Journal that does include them, and copy the children's section of that into your first report.

How about a filter "ID equals a or ID equals b" where where a is the main focus person and b is the spouse that you want the other children shown? Some duplication but all in one report.

Dick

How about a filter "ID equals a or ID equals b" where where a is the main focus person and b is the spouse that you want the other children shown? Some duplication but all in one report.

Good idea, Dick. I'd not thought of that approach. I'd think you would want the spouse's section to appear after the main section - control that with the Sorting tab of the report Options.

Good idea, Dick. I'd not thought of that approach. I'd think you would want the spouse's section to appear after the main section - control that with the Sorting tab of the report Options.

I do that using the end-of-line-males so just about everybody linked in my database is included. Sorting on surname.

Dick