24 replies to this topic

#21 Robert Jacobs

Robert Jacobs
  • Senior Members
  • 308 posts
  • Interests:Computers, hiking, formal shooting competition

Posted 26 April 2008 - 03:19 AM

Ian,

This is an exciting development for me. In your TMG/Linux installation have you succeeded in using the report fuinction to print word-processing files? Are you using 32-bit or 64-bit Linux?

When the day comes that TMG & Quicken run perfectly and completely under Linux Microsoft is history for me.

Thanks.

formerprof

Hi formerprof,

I tried it using Ubunti and wine 0.9.59 and TMG7. It seems to work well if you follow the HOWTO in
http://appdb.winehq....?...n&iId=10500
Without his procedure, I had a lot of troubles.

Regards
Helmut

Dear Helmut,

Thanks so much. I plan to try this as soon as school ends -- a few weeks now. I have an older Compaq laptop which ought to do very well as there should be Linux drivers for all its hardware. All good wishes.

formerprof

#22 crowzee2

crowzee2

crowzee

• Members
  • 12 posts

Posted 14 May 2008 - 08:07 AM

Ian,

Hi formerprof,

I tried it using Ubunti and wine 0.9.59 and TMG7. It seems to work well if you follow the HOWTO in
http://appdb.winehq....?...n&iId=10500
Without his procedure, I had a lot of troubles.

Regards
Helmut

Okay, I am trying to do this, install TMG7 using Wine in Edubuntu. This is just a trial run because I would like to get an Eee PC 900 in the next couple of months and want to get the Linux version. However, if I can't make TMG run in it then I will have to get the XP one.

I was able to install Winetricks but then I get stuck with installing the windings font. I have tried moving the font to some of the possible folders that are listed on the internet but they all say that they don't exist. Do you have any suggestions for me for installing the font? Winetricks worked just fine it is just this silly windings one that is giving me problems! Any help would be appreciated.

We are making a move away from Windows in our family (awful experience using Vista and our old XP machine we want to throw out the window (however that is probably more of a Dell problem than a window's problem)).

Thanks for any help you can give!!!

Cindy

#23 Michael Hannah

Michael Hannah
  • Moderators
  • 2,745 posts
  • Interests:Genealogy, Computers

Posted 14 May 2008 - 03:07 PM

My reason for using Gedstar Pro is to avoid having to pack my laptop all the time. :) I have both my projects (client & personal) on my Palm LifeDrive via GedStar and it along with its keyboard fit nicely into my purse which helps my back injury immensely...
Joan

Hi Joan,
Let me suggest an alternative to carrying around both a Palm and a laptop, and the schronizing issues these imply not only to each other but to a desktop computer back home. I have an OQO handheld computer. As their advertising says: "A full PC that fits in your pocket!" I also have a back injury issue, and don't even want to lug around a full laptop, but I want all of my full TMG datasets with me, and all the utilities, and full Windows, and all the other programs, and the ability to directly do data entry to my TMG data without having to synchronize. Further, I don't want to have to synchronize again later with a desktop computer when I get home. So I got this handheld PC which weighs only one (yes, I said one) pound, and with dimensions of 5.6"(W) x 3.3"(H) x 1.0"(D) easily fits in a purse, fanny pack, or jacket pocket. The 5" screen is small, but easily zooms, and with TMG's wonderful ability to customize layouts, I have defined layouts that work great with this small screen. Rather than everything on the screen at once I just switch layouts as needed.

This handheld costs as much as a full laptop because it is one, but is a fraction of the size and weight but also a slight bit less powerful due to its size. Not great for intensive graphics or heavy interactive computer games (neither of which I do), but I think does everything that one would want for genealogy and general office work. I have the Tablet version so I have the best of all worlds for data input. At whatever repositories I'm doing research in I can write quick notes using the stylus on the tablet, I can do short data entry with the internal thumb keyboard, and I can do more complete data entry by sitting at a desk or table and pulling out my bluetooth full-size folding keyboard. And since it has built-in wireless I can use the wireless connection at the library to check out genealogy web sites on the spot. Then when I get home I just dock the OQO into its docking station with its connected dual 19" monitors, full keyboard, and trackball, and DVD writer and there is no synchronizing necessary to a desktop computer. It is my desktop computer as well.

I am not affiliated with OQO, just a satisfied customer,
Michael
See my book on how I customize TMG My Way.
My website.

#24 coolgarra

coolgarra
  • Members
  • 5 posts
  • Interests:Family history!!! :-)

Posted 17 May 2008 - 02:05 AM

My reason for using Gedstar Pro is to avoid having to pack my laptop all the time. :) I have both my projects (client & personal) on my Palm LifeDrive via GedStar and it along with its keyboard fit nicely into my purse which helps my back injury immensely...
Joan

Hi Joan,
Let me suggest an alternative to carrying around both a Palm and a laptop, and the schronizing issues these imply not only to each other but to a desktop computer back home. I have an OQO handheld computer. As their advertising says: "A full PC that fits in your pocket!" I also have a back injury issue, and don't even want to lug around a full laptop, but I want all of my full TMG datasets with me, and all the utilities, and full Windows, and all the other programs, and the ability to directly do data entry to my TMG data without having to synchronize. Further, I don't want to have to synchronize again later with a desktop computer when I get home. So I got this handheld PC which weighs only one (yes, I said one) pound, and with dimensions of 5.6"(W) x 3.3"(H) x 1.0"(D) easily fits in a purse, fanny pack, or jacket pocket. The 5" screen is small, but easily zooms, and with TMG's wonderful ability to customize layouts, I have defined layouts that work great with this small screen. Rather than everything on the screen at once I just switch layouts as needed.

This handheld costs as much as a full laptop because it is one, but is a fraction of the size and weight but also a slight bit less powerful due to its size. Not great for intensive graphics or heavy interactive computer games (neither of which I do), but I think does everything that one would want for genealogy and general office work. I have the Tablet version so I have the best of all worlds for data input. At whatever repositories I'm doing research in I can write quick notes using the stylus on the tablet, I can do short data entry with the internal thumb keyboard, and I can do more complete data entry by sitting at a desk or table and pulling out my bluetooth full-size folding keyboard. And since it has built-in wireless I can use the wireless connection at the library to check out genealogy web sites on the spot. Then when I get home I just dock the OQO into its docking station with its connected dual 19" monitors, full keyboard, and trackball, and DVD writer and there is no synchronizing necessary to a desktop computer. It is my desktop computer as well.

I am not affiliated with OQO, just a satisfied customer,

I would second this post - I also have an OQO and it is fantastic! My problem is that I have to travel a lot for work, and have a work laptop, (which, I am not allowed to have private applications on), so I didn't want to carry two laptops. I keep my OQO in a wetsuit pencil-case and it fits beautifully, and safely, into my handbag. It is really wonderful having my full version of TMG handily with me at all times.
Chris Wright

#25 joanmc

joanmc
  • Senior Members
  • 151 posts
  • Interests:SURNAMES: BOWEN*, BUTTON, CARMEN*, CLEGHORN, COOK*, DAVIS, FALKNER*, GOWDY, HOUGH*, LINDSAY, McFARLAND, McILMOYL*, MIDDAUGH*, MILLS, MUNRO*, NEWMAN, NICHOLSON, SHAVER*, SIMPSON, SIPES*, WAIN<br /><br />* United Empire Loyalists<br /><br />Computers, Genealogy, History, Photography, Philosophy

Posted 26 May 2008 - 08:43 AM

Perhaps the OOO (whatever that is) works well for some however it's not something I can see for myself. I do intensive graphics - I'm a photographer plus many images of documents for my genealogy. I have a nearly new laptop and certainly have no reason to replace it anytime soon. My Palm serves an entirely different purpose - it's my calendar, my chequebook, my grocery list, my address book, my notebook for meetings, research, it records voice so I can dictate on my way to the Family History Center etc., I can download photos to it if I fill all my cards for my camera, I can play games while waiting in line at the grocery store :thumbsup2: and, I can read a book without having to carry the book with me. I've never had an issue with synchronizing as I had to do that when travelling with my laptop and coming home to my desktop anyway. I also have no need for Windows on my Palm, indeed am moving away from Windows to Linux. As you can see, the purpose of my Palm is quite different than the purpose of my laptop. My laptop is used for mobile computing such as public displays, presentations and classes as well as travel computing.

:cool:
Joan
Joan McIlmoyl Cleghorn, U.E.
From Beautiful Saseenos, near Sooke & Victoria BC Canada
genealogy@joansjoy.ca
Joan's Joy of Learning

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users