alanmann

Report format Issues

I am a relatively new user. Converted from Family Tree Maker.

I am putting my lengthy text under "notes". First, is this right or should it be under "memo".

Only issue is a semi-colon that appears on the reports before any notes I have added.

Can anyone suggest how to get rid of these?

Thanks.

Alan

I'm not 100% sure I understand what you're saying. Did you mean you're adding the text in a NOTE tag instead of the MEMO field of other tags?

I added a NOTE tag and I'm not having a problem with semi-colons. Which report(s) are you having a problem with?

If you could give us more information about what kind of information you're entering then some of us might have some suggestions as to the best way to enter it. Just don't expect us to all agree. That's the beauty of TMG. There's more than 1 way to skin that cat.

Alvin

I am a relatively new user. Converted from Family Tree Maker.

Welcome to TMG, Alan! :D

I am putting my lengthy text under "notes". First, is this right or should it be under "memo".

Actually, Note tags and Memo fields are very different things.

Every tag has a Memo field. It's intended for entering text that related to the event being recorded in that tag which goes beyond the date a place information. So generally you would enter any details related to, say, a birth, marriage, death, burial, census, etc. in the Memo of the tag where you record that event.

A Note tag is a sort of general purpose tag for recording something that doesn't find in a provided tag, and for which you don't want to create a custom tag type. You also enter the text in the Memo field of this tag. Use a Note tag if you decide the information doesn't fit better in another type of tag.

Only issue is a semi-colon that appears on the reports before any notes I have added.

The output of all tags narrative reports is controlled by the tag's Sentence. (You must be using Advanced data entry mode to see the sentences.) Many standard tags do not include the Memo variable in the Sentence. For those tags you can get the Memo to appear by choosing an option on the Memos tab of report options. The semicolon you see comes from causing Memos to appear by that method.

The solution is to add the Memo variable - - to the sentence of the tag types that are causing the semicolon.

More details on editing sentences are in articles on my website - see link below. There are also some tutorials you may find helpful.

I'm not 100% sure I understand what you're saying. Did you mean you're adding the text in a NOTE tag instead of the MEMO field of other tags?

I added a NOTE tag and I'm not having a problem with semi-colons. Which report(s) are you having a problem with?

If you could give us more information about what kind of information you're entering then some of us might have some suggestions as to the best way to enter it. Just don't expect us to all agree. That's the beauty of TMG. There's more than 1 way to skin that cat.

Alvin

Welcome to TMG, Alan! :D

Actually, Note tags and Memo fields are very different things.

Every tag has a Memo field. It's intended for entering text that related to the event being recorded in that tag which goes beyond the date a place information. So generally you would enter any details related to, say, a birth, marriage, death, burial, census, etc. in the Memo of the tag where you record that event.

A Note tag is a sort of general purpose tag for recording something that doesn't find in a provided tag, and for which you don't want to create a custom tag type. You also enter the text in the Memo field of this tag. Use a Note tag if you decide the information doesn't fit better in another type of tag.

The output of all tags narrative reports is controlled by the tag's Sentence. (You must be using Advanced data entry mode to see the sentences.) Many standard tags do not include the Memo variable in the Sentence. For those tags you can get the Memo to appear by choosing an option on the Memos tab of report options. The semicolon you see comes from causing Memos to appear by that method.

The solution is to add the Memo variable - <[M]> - to the sentence of the tag types that are causing the semicolon.

More details on editing sentences are in articles on my website - see link below. There are also some tutorials you may find helpful.

Terry...

Thanks for the info. Checked out your website too as we live in Raleigh... although we come from Maine. My wife and I, to date, have found 11 Mayflower Pilgrims we are descended from. So, our family lines run very deep in New England history. We go back a couple times a year to do research and are heading out on July 5th. Will spend some time in Canada as many of my wife's 2nd great grandparents landed there before coming into the US.

Anyway, I was happy to hear that I am using the "notes" and "memos" as they were intended. Notes are where I put all my family history information, example: several paragraphs of information on an ancestor's involvement in the Revolutionary War. Under a marriage tag, for example, I may put the minister who performed the marriage under the memo.

I will fool around with trying to make the semi-colons go away. Tried earlier from directions given on TMG help screen. I am getting the semi colons when printing out the Journal Report.

I also have a lot of work to do cleaning up my Sources that didn't import correctly from Family Tree Maker.

Having been using TMG for just a few months. Our decision to change was driven by one fact....we use two networked computers and needed to both be able to update the data base at the same time. Otherwise we were happy with FTM.

Alan

Raleigh, NC

Alvin

Alvin:

When you go to tag list, under "note" do you have anything in the sentence structure box? I have nothing there although I may have cleared it out at some point in the past.

Whenever my notes are printed on the Journal Report, the notes start out with a semi colon. I tried having two notes for the same person. I got semi-colon then first note and another semi-colon followed by the second note. So, whatever my problem is, it has to do with the sentence structure of the note tag.

I hope this helps you help me!

Thanks.

alan

When you go to tag list, under "note" do you have anything in the sentence structure box? I have nothing there although I may have cleared it out at some point in the past.

Whenever my notes are printed on the Journal Report, the notes start out with a semi colon. I tried having two notes for the same person. I got semi-colon then first note and another semi-colon followed by the second note. So, whatever my problem is, it has to do with the sentence structure of the note tag.

Yes, as I explained above, the cause of the semicolon is the lack of the [M] variable in the tag.

The default sentence for the Note tag is:

[P] [M]

If you don't want the output to start with the person's name or He/She, and if you don't want the date and place to print, you should use a sentence of:

[M]

With the memo variable in the sentence the report option to print memos not in the sentence won't apply, and you wont't get the semicolon.

BINGO!

Thanks. I thought I had tried this and got the letter M followed by the semi colon and the text. However, must have done something different cause it worked like charm this time. Much thanks for your patience.

alan