Shelby4350

Deleting people from picklist?

The Picklist is a list of names, not a list of people. What you see is two identical names from the same person. (That's apparent from the fact that they have the same ID# - in TMG ID# is a person you cannot have two people with the same ID#.)

The primary name will appear at the top of the Person view, and the second one in the Tag list below. After being sure that one of them has all the source citations, etc., that you want to keep, delete the other.

You may well have other duplicate tags as well after merging two people. For details see the article on Merging People on my website - link below.

The Picklist is a list of names, not a list of people. What you see is two identical names from the same person. (That's apparent from the fact that they have the same ID# - in TMG ID# is a person you cannot have two people with the same ID#.)

The primary name will appear at the top of the Person view, and the second one in the Tag list below. After being sure that one of them has all the source citations, etc., that you want to keep, delete the other.

You may well have other duplicate tags as well after merging two people. For details see the article on Merging People on my website - link below.

I've also spotted this problem with my project. In that two completely separate people have the same ID tag of #31 !!

Spotted it by chance.

If I open the picklist to find 'Skuce, Millicent'

I get 3 entries

*SKUCE, Millicent Mary #56

SKUCE, Millcent Mary #31 (Extended picklist shows her married to my Uncle (who is the husband of he below entry)

SKUCE, Milly #56 (her 'known as' name)

If I list by ID Tag

*WAGSTAFF Joan #31

is who #31 should be!

If I click on the second 'SKUCE' entry, it opens Joan WAGSTAFF

How do I sort this out! I've used all the maintenance options.

Neil

Neil,

Did you go to the Person View of person #31 and check the names in the Tag Box?

Jim

OK, thanks for the prod in the right direction.

I looked at Person #31 and sure enough, there was a name-var which showed SKUCE instead of GRANTHAM.

I edited that and the spurious entry has now disappeared

I don't know how it got to be SKUCE, as surely TMG would have prompted me when the marraige was created (I have this option on)

...and, why, if it is wrong, did it pick great aunt Milly SKUCE and put in a wrong entry!? Surely it should have just given the wrong name against the wrong person and not have interfered with a random SKUCE?

Neil

This may be related to or the same as a problem which has recently cropped up for me. This is that every now and again, when I enter a named variant (Ctrl V) to an existing person, it attaches the name to a different person. This occurs whether I use the Add tag button, CtrlV or the Tag pull down menu. The Name variant window opens, I type in the new name, then click OK, but instead of returning to the widow for that person, it opens the window for someone else and enters the name variant under them! The only way I've found to get out of this is to close the program and re-open. I've tried optimizing and validating, but these don't solve the problem - validating says there are no problems! This only started about a month ago and has recurred about a dozen times. Perhaps the same thing has happened to you, which might explain how the wrong name appeared under your #31??

Any thoughts on this Jim?

pktropics

I tried optimising which I thought included re-indexing? Next time it happens, I'll re-index and let you know the outcome.

Thanks

pktropics.

I tried optimising which I thought included re-indexing? Next time it happens, I'll re-index and let you know the outcome.

Thanks

pktropics.

I did all the Maintenance items and it didn't fix it. The only fix for me was to manually rename the wron surname in the wrong person, but this sounds different as my person had the wrong surname attached to the name-var tag which would have been generated when I entered a marriage.

As I have 2000+ individuals, I know as it's my Aunt and Uncle they would have been entered early on (years ago) and I've never noticed this before.