grswede

Reference Field Numbering

I promised those who are interested in my Reference field numbering scheme a screen shot.

Shown here is the simple pick list with the sort on the reference field. The numbers to the left of the decimal point are Ahnentafel numbering. To the right of the decimal point are two digit number series, each susequent two digits representing the child of the previous sequence of digits.

0000001.00 is the base person of the numbering. The parents are 0000002.00 for the father and 0000003.00 for the mother. As in Ahnentafel numbers.

To the right of the decimal one would add 10 or any even number for a male child and 11 or any odd number for a female. You might have more than 10 children so spacing the child numbering is essential to getting them all in.

For spouses append .A/.B/.C/etc. For parents of spouses append to the spouse number .02 for father and .03 for mother. Siblings of the spouse get their number appended to the spouse's father's number as .10/.11/.15/.20/etc. So each decimal point break in the number signifies a change in the direction of relationship. Children of the father of the spouse have their descendant numbering like the normal descendants. For example: 0000096.10.A.02.112410 represents individual 96.10's spouse's father's daughter's son's daughter.

If you are interested I can send a writeup on use of the Reference field numbering and its use for paper documnets as well.

John Lundquist

GRSwede@comcast.net

Pick_List_many_generations.bmp