Sharon

Wishlist - lock dataset

I would like to make my pitch for allowing the user to lock a dataset after it has been created. It would be so nice since I work between two computers (There seems to be an inverse correlation between my shortterm memory and my age.) It would help keep me from updating the wrong computer's dbase. From what I've read, there are other benefits from making a dataset a read-only file.

Thanks.

I would like to make my pitch for allowing the user to lock a dataset after it has been created. It would be so nice since I work between two computers (There seems to be an inverse correlation between my shortterm memory and my age.) It would help keep me from updating the wrong computer's dbase. From what I've read, there are other benefits from making a dataset a read-only file.

Thanks.

If you use ROBOCOPY or XCOPY there are switches which will assure that only newer versions of files are copied -- plus a great deal of even more sophisticated control of hat gets copied and what does not. If I remember aright ROBOCOPY comes with Vista, but is also available as a free download for XP. XCOPY, which comes with both, is being denigrated, but is still a powerful and flexible program.

In either case {programname} /? typed from the command prompt will list the switches.

formerprof

This batch file updates my entire documents directory to a USB flash drive which I use to keep my machines in sync. It's still a work in progress, so please don't cavil about the unneeded escape hatches:

@echo off

if not exist e:\CUSTOM.DIC goto :WRONGDISK

if exist c:\work\update.log del c:\work\update.log

cls

echo Invoking Robocopy from %SystemRoot%\system32 . . .

%SystemRoot%\system32\xcopy /d/u/y "c:\users\Robert Jacobs\Documents"\custom.dic e:\custom.dic >> c:\work\update.log

%SystemRoot%\system32\robocopy "c:\users\Robert Jacobs\Documents" e:\ /S /XO /XL /DST /EFSRAW /TS /NP /LOG+:c:\work\update.log

%SystemRoot%\system32\notepad.exe c:\work\update.log

goto :QUIT

:DRIVEDOWN

echo Can't find jump drive or drive is empty; press a key to exit

pause

:WRONGDISK

echo The wrong disk is in the drive; press a key to exit and start over

pause

:BUGOUT

echo The .pst is open; press a key, close Outlook, and start over.

pause

:QUIT

exit

Edited by formerprof

Thanks.

You could enter the last edited date in the Welcome Message (Preferences > Current Project Options > Other > Welcome message).

This message will be on the screen as a reminder when you next open that project.

You just have to remember to keep the message updated :)

Virginia

I'm working also on 2 computers. To update my databases I'm using Microsoft SyncToy. You don't need to edit a batch file with DOS commands. You can create folder pairs with this options:

Synchronize: New and updated files are copied both ways. Renames and deletes on either side are repeated on the other.

Echo: New and updated files are copied left to right. Renames and deletes on the left are repeated on the right.

Subscribe: Updated files on the right are copied to the left if the file name already exists on the left.

Contribute: New and updated files are copied left to right. Renames on the left are repeated on the right. No deletions.

Combine: New and updated files are copied both ways. Nothing happens to renamed and deleted files.

And if you want you can create Scheduled Tasks (see SyncToy Help) in windows - you can't forget updating the databases :D

To download: SyncToy Downlaod

Markus

www.kalina-online.net