JohnR

Surname force lower case

I would like to force some words in a surname into lower case

I have for instance: Given Name = Anharad Pre-surname = ferch Surname = DAVID AP LLEWELYN AP DAVID AP GRONWY and I would like the AP to appear as ap because it makes it easier to read.

I know I could simply make Anharad the daughter of David and David the son of Llewelyn but then in the pick list I run into the difficulty of distinguishing one Anharad ferch David from another.

Suggestions please ?

John ap Rees

Surnames can be displayed in caps or exactly as you enter them.

Preferences / Current Project Options / General / 'Display surname is CAPS'

This option is selected by default but you can unselect it to display surnames as you enter them.

Surnames can be displayed in caps or exactly as you enter them.

Preferences / Current Project Options / General / 'Display surname is CAPS'

This option is selected by default but you can unselect it to display surnames as you enter them.

Thanks Jim, but I don't think this solves my problem of viewing REES AP REES as REES ap REES, what I was hoping for was something like say: REES [LCASE:]ap[:LCASE]REES

As for me, I simply type names in as I wish them to display. Since I, like you, like the main "surnames" to appear in CAPS, that's how I enter them. Of course, I have turned off the message which "warns" me about entering surnames in ALL-CAP format*, since I modify things to suit my needs. I fully agree with you that "ap REES ap REES" (as an artificial "picklist surname") is beneficial to differentiate from "Rees ap Rees" (someone's actual full name), and can be easier to read than "AP REES AP REES", since it is starting to get a bit long** . Hope this helps.

*(you can do that using File>Preferences>General and uncheck the box "Display surname in CAPS")

**(almost like the "screaming" ALL-CAPS that appears on some webpages, which some government ones are especially well-known for)

Edited by KimhereMKS