GenerationGoneBy

Will-Nuncupative

This tag has the roles of: Testator, Will Witness, executor, heir and Not mentioned

Testator-Male sentence: [:CR:][:TAB:]Most wills are hand written by the testator, and are witnessed and then proven to be legal in court. Occasionally a person would give an oral will, or a nuncupative will. These are legal wills once witnessed and proven in court. [R:Testator] dictated his nuncupative will< in front of [R:Will Witness]> <[D]> < [L]>. < He named [R:executor] as his executor.]>< [R:heir] were listed as heirs.>< For personal reasons, he did not mention, [R:Not mentioned.]> <[M]>

Testator-Female sentence: [:CR:][:TAB:]Most wills are hand written by the testator, and are witnessed and then proven to be legal in court. Occasionally a person would give an oral will, or a nuncupative will. These are legal wills once witnessed and proven in court. [R:Testator] dictated her nuncupative will< in front of [R:Will Witness]> <[D]> < [L]>. < She named [R:executor] as her executor.]>< [R:heir] were listed as heirs.>< For personal reasons, she did not mention, [R:Not mentioned.]> <[M]>

I use the same sentence for each of the roles. You can leave the [M] field off of the other roles if you don't want the will to print for everyone. I use the memo field for a transcription of the original will.

If I have a child that was living during the time the father dictated his will, but who is not mentioned, I will use the role of Not mentioned. At times a man could have a good reason for not listing a child, but in an oral will, it's possible that a frail, sick man may have forgotten a child, if he had many.

It prints: [:CR:][:TAB:]Most wills are hand written by the testator, and are witnessed and then proven to be legal in court. Occasionally a person would give an oral will, or a nuncupative will. These are legal wills once witnessed and proven in court. John Smith dictated his nuncupative will in front of James Allen, John Jones, and William Smith on 24 January 1854 in Rutherford County, TN. He named James Doe as his executor. Susan Smith, Rebecca Jones, and Sally Smith were listed as heirs. For personal reasons, he did not mention, James Smith. WILL TRANSCRIPTION.

NOTE: If one of the people in another role are also the executor, you will not be able to mention that person twice. In that case, I will leave out the role of executor and put that information in the memo field of the tag. Rarely will a witness also be an heir, but if they were, I would mention them as heir and put the fact that they also witnessed the will in the tag memo.

Post has been edited to reflect change Katrina suggests below. Thanks for the catch!

Edited by GenerationGoneBy

Er, a very small correction for your sentence:

In the Testator sentences, the correct word should be "reasons" not "reason's" because the word is plural, not singular possessive.

Sorry, but I've been doing grammar with my 11-year-old all this summer.

Katrina

Edited by Heintz57Kids

You're most welcome, Teresa. As I said, we've been "doing" grammar all summer. We just finished the lesson on plurals versus possessives last week.

You're right about the advantage of extra eyes. I'll be uploading some of mine soon for the same "going over."