joanmc

Place Style Sentences

This is rather a dual question but I'll start here :wacko: After nearly 10 years, I've finally taken the time (lots of it) to clean up the typical place name mess from an FTM import. In the process, I decided to create 4 custom Place Styles: Ontario, BC, My US (mostly NY) & UK. In accordance with instructions, I tried to keep similar field labels in the same field. However, this wasn't always possible so I've got situations like Township in L7 or District in L10. My understanding was that if I modified the Output Sentence in the Place Style window, this would be reflected in tag entry screens with the order of the fields shown and in a narrative output. So, I expected in my Ontario Style to see my field labels to show:

L1-Addressee

L2-Detail

L3-City

L4-Township

L5-County

L6-District

L7-Province

L8-Country

L9-Phone

L10-LatLong

This hasn't happened. So, is there something I missed? I haven't yet tried to print one of these as I suspect when the tag entry screen isn't showing correctly that my narrative wouldn't either.

Suggestions?

B)

Joan

What place style is selected in the TAG? They should match what you have in the levels for that place style. Which levels print is controlled by the output template.

Not sure what you are doing wrong here either.

That's what I thought from the instructions for changing the Place Style. I have changed the majority of the tags as I was making the hundreds of correction :rolleyes: The rest I'll change as I come across them.

Duh, I just realized what the problem is - changing the Place Style doesn't affect any previous entries!!! So, is there a way of changing these previous ones? I totally forgot about that aspect......

B)

Joan

What place style is selected in the TAG? They should match what you have in the levels for that place style. Which levels print is controlled by the output template.

Not sure what you are doing wrong here either.

That's where I did all the corrections as well as changing the Place Styles but the Labels in the tag entry screens are not in the order of the Place Style Output Sentence as I had expected.

B)

Joan

If you change the place style in the MASTER PLACE LIST, they will show for every instance of that place. That is the best place to change the place style.

Do you mean using L1,L2 etc instead of the field labels in the Place Style output sentence?

B)

Joan

Is your output sentence in L1, L2, L3, L4 order? The labels in the tag will be in that order. If you have L1, L4, L2, L3 in the sentence, that will not effect the labels in the tag.

No, sorry. The labels will be in the order you gave them in the label fields in the style. So if your style is:

L1: Addressee

L2: Detail

L3: City

ANd your output template is [City], [Addressee], [Detail], then the tag should use Addressee, Detail, City. If that's not what you are seeing, then you might want to post a screen shot here.

Ooookaaaay, so, if my output template is, in essence, L3, L1, L2, it should print out that way but doesn't show that way in PV nor in any of the tag entry screens?

B)

Joan

No, sorry. The labels will be in the order you gave them in the label fields in the style. So if your style is:

L1: Addressee

L2: Detail

L3: City

ANd your output template is [City], [Addressee], [Detail], then the tag should use Addressee, Detail, City. If that's not what you are seeing, then you might want to post a screen shot here.

Right. In the tag window, and detail of the Person View, it will be L1, L2, L3, L4... Also you probably need to know that Repositories always use L1, L2, L3, L4, regardless of the Place style attached to them. So for repositories, I set them up in the order I want them to print, even if that puts the city in say L6.

Right. In the tag window, and detail of the Person View, it will be L1, L2, L3, L4... Also you probably need to know that Repositories always use L1, L2, L3, L4, regardless of the Place style attached to them. So for repositories, I set them up in the order I want them to print, even if that puts the city in say L6.

Now, all I have to do is get used to entering the township after I've entered the country :rolleyes: or the district after LatLong........

Thanks very much for clearing this up and for mentioning the repositories method.

B)

Joan