Dan Stone

'in or near' Place Names

I'm looking for suggestions as to how to record 'in or near' place names in TMG. I'm looking for a solution that will work with TMG report output, as well as with Second Site output that utilizes the "full then short" place style option.

Here's some background info:

I have come across some obituaries for my ancestors which list their place of birth as "in or near..." I have yet to uncover any sources which more specifically define their birthplace. I would like to utilize the option in Second Site to have the first reference of a place name be the full name, with further reference to that same place using the short place style. Unless I'm missing something, I have found that only one short place style can be defined in TMG.

This limit of only one short place style is what is creating my challenge. I seem to have to choose between either getting a result of "in in or near...", or for all the rest of the place names I end up with output having no preposition at all in order to make the "in or near..." places appear correctly. I can use custom place styles to get the long form of the place name to work correctly in both cases, but it still leaves the short place style problem of being incorrect in one case or the other. If I only put "or near" in the place name, then the preposition problem is solved in all cases, but for "in or near..." places the place link in Second Site (and place index) is lacking "in", so the context comes across a bit differently than inteded.

Perhaps there's no way to have it all in this situation (using custom place styles, and full place style only in Second Site, is one solution, just not my preference), but I'm hoping I might be missing something simple.

Thanks in advance for any advice/pointers,

Dan

Dan,

Each place can have a specific "short place" value which is not built with the short place template. Thus, you can set the short place template to handle all the usual cases, and for the few other places, set a specific value for that place. See the "Edit Place" window available via the Master Place List. I forget the details, but I think it's obvious from there.

Dan,

Each place can have a specific "short place" value which is not built with the short place template. Thus, you can set the short place template to handle all the usual cases, and for the few other places, set a specific value for that place. See the "Edit Place" window available via the Master Place List. I forget the details, but I think it's obvious from there.

Thanks John. I was hoping that it might be something simple that I overlooked.

Dan