vossmoore

TMG support for 2 PCs

My primary computer is a WinXP desktop. This is where I do all my TMG work at home. In the past I used my PDA and Pocket Genealogist 3 to update data when I traveled. By using this process I could sync the databases very easily when I returned home. I just purchased a laptop running WinVista and plan to retire my PDA. My question is "what is the best procedure for syncing the databases between my desktop computer and my laptop?"

My primary computer is a WinXP desktop. This is where I do all my TMG work at home. In the past I used my PDA and Pocket Genealogist 3 to update data when I traveled. By using this process I could sync the databases very easily when I returned home. I just purchased a laptop running WinVista and plan to retire my PDA. My question is "what is the best procedure for syncing the databases between my desktop computer and my laptop?"

I make a backup of the project then restore it to the other machine.

Alvin

I make a backup of the project then restore it to the other machine.

Alvin

Thanks Alvin. I guess my big concern relates to any possible problems with going from the WinVista back to the WinXP machine. I assume you are saying there is no problem. Is that correct?

Thanks Alvin. I guess my big concern relates to any possible problems with going from the WinVista back to the WinXP machine. I assume you are saying there is no problem. Is that correct?

I do use Vista so I cannot answer your question, but I would not expect any problems.

Alvin

I use a shareware program called Second Copy to synchronise all my data files between a PC and laptop - like you, I use the laptop when on the road, and the PC when back in my office. So far both machines are running XP, but I'm about to get a new PC with Vista, so will be interested to see if Second Copy will work between XP and Vista - I don't see why it shouldn't.

pktropics

I very frequently move from desktop to laptop, these days at least once a week. I have built a BAT file which creates a ZIP of all files (in selected areas) which have changed since a given date; one of the areas is the TMG directory (I keep my data separate from the program). This ZIP goes onto a thumb drive and goes with me in my pocket to the other machine and gets unzipped there. It does require a copy of PKZIP Command Line. For TMG only the backup/restore process would be equivalent (I use the scheme for lots of stuff - email, web site data, etc).