Roy Sprunger

Copy/Paste & Too Many Blank Spaces

I have noticed for some time now that when I select a fields contents, for example a name field, copy it, then paste it somewhere else, like in Notepad, there are a bunch of blank or empty spaces following the text. Below is an example. I replaced the spaces with "+" signs.

Baumgartner+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

+++++++++++

That is a lot of blank spaces to delete.

Is there a way to trim off the blank spaces or force the program to only select the text and not the whole field contents? For example, I know I can select the characters individually but the Windows habit is to simply double click on the word to select it. Unfortunately, the program grabs the entire field with all those blanks.

Roy Sprunger/Assyria, MI

B)

I have noticed for some time now that when I select a fields contents, for example a name field, copy it, then paste it somewhere else, like in Notepad, there are a bunch of blank or empty spaces following the text. Below is an example. I replaced the spaces with "+" signs.

Baumgartner+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

+++++++++++

That is a lot of blank spaces to delete.

Is there a way to trim off the blank spaces or force the program to only select the text and not the whole field contents? For example, I know I can select the characters individually but the Windows habit is to simply double click on the word to select it. Unfortunately, the program grabs the entire field with all those blanks.

Roy Sprunger/Assyria, MI

B)

You apparently are selecting the name using the mouse and dragging if over the name and including spaces after the name...if you place the cursor in the name and ctrl+a you will select the name only and not all of the spaces after it...The name field is a fixed length field and if you highlight the name and spaces after it that is what will be copied....

You apparently are selecting the name using the mouse and dragging if over the name and including spaces after the name...if you place the cursor in the name and ctrl+a you will select the name only and not all of the spaces after it...The name field is a fixed length field and if you highlight the name and spaces after it that is what will be copied....

lawrpaul,

You apparently overlooked part of my statement, "the Windows habit is to simply double click on the word to select it."

However, I appreciate your prompt response and tip. Clicking in the field and using ctrl-a is definitely an acceptable solution. I do a lot of control-key work on the keyboard with my left hand while having the mouse in my right.

Thanks.

Roy

B)

lawrpaul,

You apparently overlooked part of my statement, "the Windows habit is to simply double click on the word to select it."

However, I appreciate your prompt response and tip. Clicking in the field and using ctrl-a is definitely an acceptable solution. I do a lot of control-key work on the keyboard with my left hand while having the mouse in my right.

Thanks.

Roy

B)

Yes, I did miss that part of your message...it appears to depend on the type of field as defined in the underlying database system that TMG is written in...some fields such as name and place fields if you double click you select the entire field...in other fields such as memo field if you double click you select a word...so the caution is if you double click and select the entire field you are going to get the trailing spaces...