Bob, I was just about to purchase the v.6.12 online, and saw this msg about a v.7 and the availability of getting the upgrade to v.7 if you purchase the v.6.12 after 17 Aug 2007......I presently do not have any version of TMG and was wondering how long I would have to wait, and should I wait, to get the v.7?????

I already have 6.12 and don't mind paying an update charge for new features. GO AHEAD AND GET 6.12 and run it on the XP computer. It will cover most or all of what you really need to know now. I'm still finding out things after messing with this for over a year. It might be worth holding off for V7 for any Vista computers.

He'll give you v7 upgrade free if within 90 days of purchase, and v7 should be out within a month or two. There is a lot of learning involved, but I find the program to be industrial strength and very intuitive for what I want to do.

also, I have two computers, one with windows xp and one with windows vista; I want to use the program on both computers, and I would like to know if I can enter info on one computer, make copies of the info on discs and back it up on the other computer with this program.
The backup is in the form of a compressed .SQZ file. One would merely have to copy the file to the other computer and RESTORE the data from the file. CAUTION. Anything already there will be lost, of course. Keep one computer primary and one secondary, or you will have to do the same thing in the OTHER direction, restoring the primary TMG project from the file copied from the secondary computer. The backup and restore run fairly quickly, so they are not a bottleneck. It's worth doing a backup now and then, in case things lock up, which can happen rarely. Any data entered or changed since the backup are lost after a restore.

I tried to call the tech support number in MD and was put on hold for so long that I hung up (long distance). you guys really need a 1-800 number for tech support.
A 1-800 number is merely a translate table at the phone company that forwards the in-state or US dialed number to their phone. If they are not around to answer it, it won't make any difference at all. Yes, they would pay for a 1-800 call, but they are trying to keep the cost down for your software. Support is answered free right here. I'd rather keep the questions in e-mail and let Bob V. keep working on version 7. (I found a bug myself posted in the favorite layout thread...and hope that it can be fixed.)

I am very pleased with support here in e-mail. Somebody usually gets back the same day if the e-mail comes during work hours, if it's a workday and they're not out for a conference or cruise or something. (Did you try to call too late in the eve?) For many things, others of us would like to see the problem and solutions for future reference and many of us would be able to fix it by e-mail on a weekend. We may get other ideas ourselves as to what people are doing with the product.

Edited by retsof

Jim Byram has posted how to run TMG 6.12 under Vista and several users are already doing so. &.0 is supposed to be able to run under XP and Vista with no problems.

I agree with retsof, go ahead and get 6.12. Then when 7.0 comes out, you will get the free upgrade. I don't know of any issues of moving from an XP system to a Vista system, but I don't think there will be any. The issues with Vista are in setting up the software when you install it.

Also, if you feel you need an answer to a question quickly, try subscribing to TMG-L@rootsweb.com. To subscribe, first send an email to TMG-L-Request@rootsweb.com. Once you get the reply back, send your question to TMG-L@rootsweb.com. There are many very knowledgeable users there, and often an answer comes in minutes. If it's a question that you really need tech support for you will be referred there. If not, then someone will tell you how to fix your problem.

Retsof,

I still can't recreate your issue. Are you still seeing it after creating a new layout and saving it? It's definitely not there on your screen shot.

You are going to have to show a screen shot. I regularly back up my file and I have never seen the other info box go away. Gonna need more details.
It's over there in the favorite layout thread. The details window didn't change after backing it up in layout mode. The details window stayed at its original size in my layout, another clue. The children and sibling windows were replaced by flags and focus groups windows.

I'm trying some more things.

Details window expanded to 3/4 screen. (default size is about 5/8 screen width) Flags and Focus Groups windows reduced to 1/4 screen width.

Backup database.

Other info box is still there.

Leave details window at 3/4 screen.

Backup database.

Expand details window to 7/8 screen width.

Backup database.

Expand details window to full screen width.

Backup database.

Other info box is still there. Do I have to sneak up on a full screen view???

I had a filter turned on. I'll turn off the filter.

Details window is still full screen.

Backup database.

Other info box is still there. ???

The detail window had been moved around and layout items were previously there.

-----------------------------------

Exit project. Start project with default standard layout.

close children and siblings window.

Make details window full screen.

Backup database.

When the backup complete button was visible, I could see the other info box.

After hitting the OK, the details window was regenerated AND THE OTHER INFO BOX IS MISSING.

This is a large project, and that full circle took most of the evening.

------------------------------------

late breaking news: (CNN says that all of the time.)

When moving some boxes around between layouts and backing up, I saw a transient error of the other info box being there, but empty. Another time, I saw a flag box there, but empty. Closing the flag box and accessing it again from the window tab fixed it. Some of these things look like windows rendering errors, as they are random and cannot be duplicated.

Edited by retsof

Are you running XP or Vista? I am wondering if this could be a Vista issue.

Screen shot is in the Favorite View Thread and it's Windows XP, not Vista.

VERSION 7 TINY CHANGE REQUEST.

When ready for a merge of individuals, it asks whether I am sure and asks yes or no. It sends a beep and starts the merge.

When the merge is done, could you send me another beep?

Individuals with a lot of tags, like William the Conqueror, can take a few minutes to merge, enough time to go to another computer on the KVM switch and do something else, like surfing the internet or answering a message like this.

I have noticed the same issue after a dataset merge and it asks whether it is OK to optimize the file. If OK, the optimization is done quietly.

Edited by retsof

Bob, I was just about to purchase the v.6.12 online, and saw this msg about a v.7 and the availability of getting the upgrade to v.7 if you purchase the v.6.12 after 17 Aug 2007......I presently do not have any version of TMG and was wondering how long I would have to wait, and should I wait, to get the v.7?????

also, I have two computers, one with windows xp and one with windows vista; I want to use the program on both computers, and I would like to know if I can enter info on one computer, make copies of the info on discs and back it up on the other computer with this program.

I tried to call the tech support number in MD and was put on hold for so long that I hung up (long distance). you guys really need a 1-800 number for tech support.

thanks, Bev

I have two networked PCs with TMG installed on each. PC #1, also has my TMG databases. Make sure that folder is in a shared network folder. PC #2 accesses that database and I do make changes to the file which is resident on PC#1. My default backup folder is on a second drive on PC#1, but there isn't any reason why I couldn't put it on any network shared space. Both PCs are running XP.

IMO, there isn't any reason for you to wait for version 6. As I understand it, the interface is quite similar and you might as well get going with it now.

Jim

For vers. 7 did anyone notice if there was a butterfly chart?

Jim

Jim -

I do not see that on Bob's list of enhancements for v7. Something similar (and actually an improvement on the standard butterfly chart) can be done in the VCF now, however. See Robin's instructions in the thread at

http://www.whollygenes.com/forums201/index...mp;hl=butterfly

and for variations in the form of pedigree booklets, see the thread at

http://www.whollygenes.com/forums201/index...?showtopic=5991

If you want to read all messages in the VCF forum, click on Show All at the bottom of the page to display older messages.

Virginia

Being able to suggest future changes is really a healthy thing for TMG software.

With Version 7 coming out in the near future it is probably to late to make changes now, so I hope the same topic or theme will be set up for version 8.

What we the users have to remember is that changes costs programing time which the owners of the software have to justify if the investment is worth their efforts.

As evidenced by the theme that allowed everone to show how they set up their window indicates, there are probably as many things that each of us use that we each think are very important but other users might not think as important and most important as stated above the owners might think more expensive than they would get for their invenstment of programing time.

This long list of desires for version 7 is great but may I suggest the owners of TMG come up with a questionare that each of us in the community could rank possible areas of improvements in order of importance we would most like to see.

An area thst I personally would like to see improvements in would be "Book Management" but someone else might want more or better internet research oportunities. I would think the Wholly Genes company would want this see this possible broad range of what is important to their users and such a survey if well written sould provide such insite and guidance as to what the majority of users think most important.

All the people who have used other software and switched to TMG have good ideas where TMG could be improved because they have seen strengths of other software that TMG could be improved with.

Don't get me wrong, I love the strengths that TMG has right now but nothing is perfect and the day anyone starts thinking they have what is perfect and they don't have to listen to users and make improvements someone else will come along with a better mouse trap.

Remember the Edsel was a result of a survey. The problem was not that it was a survey but the people they surveyed were the one's at home during work hours and not the one's who actually bought and drove the family autos. Long time users might not know what the competition is offering out there.

Jim -

I do not see that on Bob's list of enhancements for v7. Something similar (and actually an improvement on the standard butterfly chart) can be done in the VCF now, however. See Robin's instructions in the thread at

http://www.whollygenes.com/forums201/index...mp;hl=butterfly

and for variations in the form of pedigree booklets, see the thread at

http://www.whollygenes.com/forums201/index...?showtopic=5991

If you want to read all messages in the VCF forum, click on Show All at the bottom of the page to display older messages.

Virginia

Thanks. I've been manually generating a butterfly [or bowtie] chart myself. Did one this am in fact. Which is what prompted me to ask the question about v7. It's not difficult to do, just a boring exercise. While everyone has their own preferences, I think that chart is the most efficient way to show ancestors, so it would be nice to generate it automatically. I used to yearn for an all-in-one chart ... but when my database got to be "thousands" in didn't seem that important any more.

Jim

Bob does listen to his users comments on wishes. SInce I started using TMG (was it really 5 years ago?) I have seen several that I have requested show up in TMG. Of course, there are many more I still hope to see.

I have no idea how he decides what goes into the next upgrade. It could be a throw of the dice. I would imagine it has to do more with ease of programming, and how many users will benefit.

If you have something you would like to see, why not start a new thread with WISHLIST in the subject line. You've got a blank survey sheet right here, and you can say what's on it.

I am looking forward to V7, but I know that V8 will be great when it comes out someday too.

Bob does listen to his users comments on wishes. SInce I started using TMG (was it really 5 years ago?) I have seen several that I have requested show up in TMG. Of course, there are many more I still hope to see.

I have no idea how he decides what goes into the next upgrade. It could be a throw of the dice. I would imagine it has to do more with ease of programming, and how many users will benefit.

If you have something you would like to see, why not start a new thread with WISHLIST in the subject line. You've got a blank survey sheet right here, and you can say what's on it.

I am looking forward to V7, but I know that V8 will be great when it comes out someday too.

Bob said something interesting in last night's chat re the wishlist...

Seems that the betatesters are his first filter for wishlist items (or words to that effect). Check the transcript for his exact words as I may have misunderstood him.

Bill wrote: Being able to suggest future changes is really a healthy thing for TMG software.

With Version 7 coming out in the near future it is probably too late to make changes now, so I hope the same topic or theme will be set up for version 8.

Enhancements to TMG are not limited to major version upgrades. Bob very often includes new features in the interim free bug fixes and upgrades. As Roy mentioned, the subject of wishlists came up during the 11pm chat last Saturday (Dec 1). You can read the transcript in the Chat Archives in the Other forum. The wishlist discussion starts at about line 20:06:40.

It will help if you can get a discussion going on the tmg mailing list, being specific in what you want to do - but can't now - in, for example, the TMG Book Manager. Several people on the list have compiled books and can suggest workarounds or reinforce your suggestions for improvements.

You can subscribe to the TMG mailing list at:

http://lists.rootsweb.com/index/other/Software/TMG.html

Virginia

What about some check/tick marks on the details window as are in the merge screen. Especially when merging the duplicate records that creep in to the SAME database, it is exhausting deleting items a line at a time. I suppose that I could merge them with a new fake record to get the check/tick marks, eh?